Pip appeal — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip appeal

Alannah
Alannah Community member Posts: 1 Listener
hi I have Just been awarded pip but have gone down from the higher rate of mobility to standard rate basically DWP say I can walk 20 meters and don't need help outside in fact walking is impossible am appealing I got standard rate for care the question am asking is what to include would a medical report from GP help??? 

Comments

• SMW83
    SMW83 Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
    Yes, the more medical evidence you provide, the better.

You will need to request a Mandatory Reconsideration ASAP where you will ask the DWP to look at your claim again. Their decision will likely be upheld (even with supporting medical evidence) so it is likely you will have to take this to appeal.

The same happened to me in July 2016 and the decision overturned in December 2016. It is a long, tortuous and demeaning process (the DWP lied extensively about me to the courts, proffered them false information and did everything to stop me from being awarded the benefits to which I am entitled) but the appeals courts decided on actual medical evidence so gather what you can and stick with the process whatever the DWP do to deter you from doing so.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear this @Alannah - @SMW83 is right that you will need to apply for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) first.

You need to give specific reasons why you disagree with the decision. Use your decision letter, statement of reasons and medical assessment report to make a note of each of the statements you disagree with and why. Give facts, examples and medical evidence (if available) to support what you’re saying.

There is lots of information here about MR and then if you arent successful there, you can appeal and go to tribunal.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • shel5678
    shel5678 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    I too have just had my motability vehicle taken away. Now I can't walk to doctors surgery or bus stop and corner shop. My knee has had no cartilage in it for 40yrs and it's worn away really badly and am having to take morphine. Some days are good and others are bad. My pain threshold is very high . I struggle to walk more than 20 steps on normal days... I live in rural area so taxi drivers won't come here to pick me up to take me to doctor surgery. Have appealed and still rebuffed. I will take this to tribunal. I have diabetic peripheral neuropathy which makes me very unsteady on my feet like being drunk... hang in there and appeal it. 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Over 65% of appeals are successful.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.