If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

Capita don't take into account domestic violence?

SystemSystem Posts: 413 Scope community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi I'm Rebecca ask me questions about Mental Health.

Replies

• ariesaries Posts: 43Member Connected
    Hi Rebecca, 
    could i ask as being a domestic abuse survivor only through the help of women's aid and police. I was told at a recent CAPITA assessment for PIP that the abuse, violence, and threats to kill meant nothing to the assessor or the DWP. This was said I front of my helper that day an old family friend. 
    This abuse has really affected me as I'm sure you can imagine. It affects me every day. I was suicidal.  I find it very difficult to go out, I never go out on my own. I'm very mistrusting of everyone, I suffer with depression and have had counselling. Rather than go into all the different forms of abuse experienced by my son and myself as this is not the place for that. However, can you help? 
    I felt so disgusted by this! 
    Kind Regards 
    Aries 

• RebeccaMHadvisorRebeccaMHadvisor Posts: 99Member Courageous
    Hi @aries
    Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about the difficulties that you have and are continuing to go through. Leaving an abusive situation doesn't end the day that you leave. Often the effects stay with you for a long time. It's great that you have the support of the Police and Women's aid when you needed it.
    Although I have worked within Social Housing for a very long time and have a lot of dealings with the DWP and Capita I am afraid that PIP isn't my speciality. I am aware that they (should) take into account if you have been in an abusive situation for some benefits I am not sure that this is the case for PIP and with PIP it is more about how the situation affects you now. The fact that you don't go out and your depression diagnosis should qualify you for points but probably not enough points to qualify for PIP. Perhaps @BenefitsTrainingCo might be able to confirm if this is correct and perhaps give you a little more information about the ins and outs of it all.
    Sorry I can't be a little more help.
    Rebecca
  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Posts: 7,732Administrator Scope community team
    @BenefitsTrainingCo it would be great if you could add your experience here!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • ariesaries Posts: 43Member Connected
    Hi Rebecca thank you for replying.
    I'm sure that after experiencing abuse of any kind this has had a lasting effect for me and I'm sure many other people in our society. It effects my day to day life in many ways.  
    However, I have several medical problems that inhibit me. I have coronary heart disease, angina, diabetes, diabetic neurological problems in my hands and fingers. My blood pressure fluctuates an causes dizzy spells and I suffer with large abscess on my legs/groin that can and does affect my ability to walk and move around. 
    However at my assessment this was ignored! 
    I added on my 12 monthly review that I was being investigated for sleep apnea, I'm under the consultant due to bleeds at the back of my eyes, I added this too. I added that I was still dealing with many issues that have arisen due to violence and domestic abuse.  I really felt that I was being honest and didn't for one moment think that I would have received the decision to stop my PIP? 
    Aries
  • haylouhaylou Posts: 8Member Listener
    edited July 2017
    The problem with these assessments is that they look at how each thing you mention impedes your ability to work and if each individual problem doesn't impede your ability to work then they can only look at whether the total of all your health problems is enough to put you under undue strain enough to threaten your life  or worsen your health if you worked.
    So if the angina is under control and the heart disease is being treat and so is the diabetes they will consider you as having health problems that are under control.
    It's a very unfair assessment, ask your consultants for each problem if there are any forms of work he would state you should avoid, if he says yes then that seems to prove you have limited capacity, so the ask if he could write to your gp stating this and a copy sent to yourself.
    I'm not an expert in just someone whose gone through similar problems with assessments though I'm ok now.
  • GeoarkGeoark Posts: 1,189Community champion Pioneering
    @aries  hopefully you included evidence for all these conditions when you applied for PIP, including any treatment you are having for them.

The PIP assessment is primarily an investigation into how these affect your day to day living rather than what is wrong with you, or what has happened. The evidence you provide should be used by the assessor to validate what you are saying.

For example, I have COPD, but this is currently treated with an inhaler. So while I could say my breathing and makes it difficult for me to walk the diagnosis would potentially back this, but the way it is treated would suggest I am exaggerating the effect on my day to day living. I am by no means suggesting you have done this. It does demonstrate why they are not interested in the cause - as this should have been provided in way of evidence.

Ideally the interview needs to be focussed on the effects as this is what is being assessed. This is by no means meant to belittle what you have been through and poorly communicated, but it is what the assessment should be focussed on.

The sad truth is, and can be seen with a little reading around here, what often is seen in the assessors report bares little reality to what is said. The government is more interested in lowering the disability benefits than helping people who need it. The best you can do now is wait for the decision. If you don't agree with the result you will be able to get advice on what to do next.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• GeoarkGeoark Posts: 1,189Community champion Pioneering
    haylou said:
    The problem with these assessments is that they look at how each thing you mention impedes your ability to work and if each individual problem doesn't impede your ability to work then they can only look at whether the total of all your health problems is enough to put you under undue strain enough to threaten your life  or worsen your health if you worked.
    So if the angina is under control and the heart disease is being treat and so is the diabetes they will consider you as having health problems that are under control.
    It's a very unfair assessment, ask your consultants for each problem if there are any forms of work he would state you should avoid, if he says yes then that seems to prove you have limited capacity, so the ask if he could write to your gp stating this and a copy sent to yourself.
    I'm not an expert in just someone whose gone through similar problems with assessments though I'm ok now.
    @haylou PIP is not an out of work benefit, many disabled people in work depend on PIP to maintain their independence and to remain in work. Unlike many benefits it is not even means tested. So has nothing to do with how your problems impede your ability to work.

PIP is assessed against set criteria around how an individual functions in their day to day life.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 689 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Hi @DannyMoore

It sounds as though things have been very difficult for you and you haven't been receiving the support that you deserve. It is important that what is happening to you is taken seriously and dealt with appropriately as well as any complaint that you make against North Humberside Police. I can hear your frustration and can understand why you are feeling the way you are feeling towards to Police, however you do need to be careful with your approach as the police have the power to take away your ability to use certain support they can offer you.

I was wondering if you have perhaps been in touch with True Vision or Victim Support? You can also make a complaint to the service direct here or and if you are not satisfied you can also complain to the Police Complaints Commission

I'm wondering if you are receiving any support for the abuse you are suffering? You have mentioned the anxiety and stress you are feeling and the potential impact this could have on you.

Rebecca  
    Hi @DannyMoore

Thanks for getting back in touch and giving a little more background. I can sense your frustration with the Police and all that has happened. I think that speaking with your MP and the anti bullying projects is a really good ieda and I really hope that you are able to get somewhere with them.

Rebecca
    @DannyMoore

I'm so glad to hear that and I am sorry that you had to go through what you have been through. 

Rebecca
Sign in or join us to comment.