If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Interviews and self doubt

SystemSystem Posts: 374 Scope community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi I'm Rebecca ask me questions about Mental Health.

Replies

• autismismeautismisme Posts: 3Member Listener
    Hi my name is Emma, ive recently become a Parlimentary candidate, but when it comes to radio interviews etc.. I have huge amounts of self doubt.  I have an education hustings next week and I'm so scared I'm going to cry in front of everyone.  Hope you can help

Thanks
  • RebeccaMHadvisorRebeccaMHadvisor Posts: 99Member Courageous
    Hi Emma

First of all, amazing! I have worked a lot with MPs over the years and what the House of Commons needs is more people who have a real understanding of issues that face every day members of the public.

Public speaking is the most common fear and can lead to increased anxiety and panic.

The first thing that will help is to remember why you are doing this, what you stand for and what your message is. Think about some of the messages you would like to get across.

Second, visualise what you will be doing. Think about things that are worrying you and causing you to feel that anxiety and think about what is the worst thing that can happen. When you start to feel your anxiety, stop thinking and do something to relax you. The repeat the exercise but this time imagine it going really well and think about how that feels. 

Third, practice. One of the big mistakes in rushing. You need to know how you sound and learn to slow your pace. This will stop you from sounding nervous.

On the morning, you will have a lot of adrenaline running through your body. Exercise is the best way to rid yourself of this and to realise those happy endorphin's so try and do something to get your heart rate up. Even if it's just running on the spot. 

If you do make mistakes, learn from them, don't take them with you. Everyone makes mistakes and the way to deal with it is accept it, you can't change it and don't take it to the next, interview/presentation.

Once you have finish. Write down five positive things from what you have done and said. This will help with your confidence moving forward.

Good luck and try to enjoy it. 
    Rebecca 
  • Joanne123Joanne123 Posts: 1Member Listener
    Hi Emma, Congratulations from me too! Just wanted to add, I did a presentation skills course once and the teacher said to not worry if you forget to say something you had planned beforehand as the audience aren't knowing what to expect so won't realise that you've made any "mistakes" as such. I found that really helpful to bear in mind!  
Sign in or join us to comment.