Hi, my name is justsurviving! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is justsurviving!

justsurviving
justsurviving Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi. I'm new.  After 3major ops over the last year I'm struggling with depression and returning to work feels unachievable. Boss wants rid. Not sure if I have a disability but I have to eat carefully I get hypos and dumping if I eat wrong. Boss says she has made all adjustments she can which is not much although I only need time out if I feel unwell and am happy to make up the time.

Comments

• AOulton
    AOulton Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hi,

In terms of whether you have a disability when it comes to work and your boss making reasonable adaptations the definition of a disability, under the 2010 equality act is 'if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.' 
    • ‘substantial’ is more than minor or trivial, eg it takes much longer than it usually would to complete a daily task like getting dressed

• ‘long-term’ means 12 months or more, eg a breathing condition that develops as a result of a lung infection

If you think you fit that criteria then I suggest you get some advice from the CAB or a local disability charity. I expect there are loads of resources on this website too. 

Hope that helps a bit!
    Amy
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @justsurviving

You might be able to give up work and claim ESA and PIP (though in theory at least PIP is payable in or out of work).  You can find info on the Disability Rights and CAB websites.

You might also have a case against your boss under the Disability Discrimination Act - but taking cases to an employment tribunal these days means paying a large upfront sum.

Would your boss make you redundant?  This would be preferable in all ways to resigning.

If possible, get a face to face meeting with CAB or similar organisation.  Scope helpline could advise if there are advice organisations in your area.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.