Information regarding Autism — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Information regarding Autism

CAIY
CAIY Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi there,

In a few months I will be running an event for children aged 11-16 with Autism, aiming to increase sports participation and also inform children/parents of sporting opportunities available to them.

I have limited experience working with children with Autism and therefore wondered if anyone would be able to inform me more on what autism is? Recommendations for sports that children my be interested in? or any general comments regarding Autism.

Thank you for your help

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @CAIY,

I'm sorry that you haven't had a response to this yet.

We have a lot of information on our website about autism spectrum disorders. Our ASD advisor, @VioletFenn, may also be able to advise.

@DannyMoore, can you help too?
    Liam
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    It's a spectrum. Some of us (such as me) have issues with things such as noise. Please don't do what some bright spark decided to do - I attended an event for people and parents of children with Autism. Suddenly, out of nowhere, came this really loud music. I could not rush to find the exits fast enough! Which is difficult when you're in a strange place and visually impaired... Really would have been nice to have had a warning that at some point, there would be some really loud horrible noise.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VioletFenn
    VioletFenn Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Hiya @CAIY

I'm not sure there's much I can add to the excellent advice already given, except that I would 100% recommend that you ask around locally and try to speak to parents of autistic kids ahead of the event, to get some idea of what they'd like the event to cover.

If you're likely to be doing this kind of thing on a regular basis then it would be well worth getting an autistic adult onside as well to help out, as they would be able to tell you straight off whether certain environments and/or activities might be problematic. 

The difficulty you might have is that as has already been said, ASD is a spectrum condition and everyone is affected differently. I can cope with surprisingly loud environments so long as I'm concentrating on something, for example, but in a quiet room I would be massively disturbed by the sound I can hear from fluorescent lighting. Others would be the opposite way around, or might not be able to cope with a lot people around them, that sort of thing. 

I would definitely try to get some knowledgeable help 'on the ground', as it were. Good luck!

Violet
    ASD advisor, Scope
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    edited August 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.