If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Am I depressed?

SystemSystem Posts: 379 Scope community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi I'm Rebecca ask me questions about Mental Health.

Replies

• jnpsmumjnpsmum Posts: 2Member Listener
    Hi, my name is Joanne I am 44 and have recently been awarded PIP (lower daily needs, higher mobility needs). I have a degenerative spinal condition with sciatica plus suffer migraines and have just been told that I am at risk (albeit low risk) of glaucoma. My mobility is poor I can walk with the use of a stick but not very far around the house and if I go out which is very rare at the moment, my husband must be with me to push me in the wheelchair. Often if it's just a shopping trip for food, he will opt to go alone as it is easier and quicker to do which means I don't get chance to get out at all only for hospital appointments.

My husband is also trying to hold down his full time job in IT, which he hopes to take retirement from at the end of next year. His work takes him away from home, often abroad for a week at a time, sometimes longer othertimes he works from home. We have two teenage boys who do help out where they can.

A lot of the time I am on my own, and completely fed up. We have no family near or wanting to come to stay, I have hinted but yet no takers! I have no network of friends and in a small village.  I am often crying, itching all over, then angry with everyone when they are back home, sleeping all the time, my blurred vision makes it difficult to concentrate on anything and I am having to use the large button keyboard to hammer this out. I am due to go back to see my GP again for the umpteenth time, next week.

My question is am I depressed or is it anxiety- what is the difference, or am I just fed up? I know I don't want tablets, I have been offered them before but said I would try without (and they didn't go with my medications the pharmacist told me).

Sorry for long story, just wanted to know what to say to the GP as I usually just burst into tears before I've said anything. I think at this next visit I need to mention it again but not sure how. Joanne.
  • RebeccaMHadvisorRebeccaMHadvisor Posts: 99Member Courageous
    Hi Joanne

It sounds as though you are having a really difficult time at the moment. It is completely understandable that your circumstances will affect your mental health.

It sounds as though your family not being near by is an issue for you but I'm wondering if you perhaps go a little further than hinting and ask them to come and stay. It may be that they don't want to impose but it's okay to ask for help and tell them that you would really like if they could visit you.

I would rather not internet diagnose and without sitting down with you properly it is difficult to say whether you are depressed or not so seeing your GP is absolutely the right thing to do. Bursting into tears in a completely normal reaction and in my experience this is something that happens frequently in GP surgeries. That in itself is a message to your GP that not all is well and that you need support. It's okay to not want tablets, you want support and someone to talk to and it's okay to tell the GP that.

There is a website, DocReady that can help people get ready to see their doctor to talk about mental health. It is a site for young people and I apologise for that, however, the message is exactly the same not matter how old we are.

I hope that you find it useful to help you with your appointment and if you're not happy with the advice you are given (i.e. here are some tablets) it's okay to say so and ask for more help.

Rebecca
  • jnpsmumjnpsmum Posts: 2Member Listener
    Thank you. This is the first time I have spoken to anyone other than my husband about it, so it is good to get some advice before seeing my GP, who is female and usually very understanding but I always see her glance at the clock and think I'm taking too much of her time up. Will see how I go next week. Joanne.
  • leeCalleeCal Posts: 36Member Courageous
    Hi, I wouldn’t be surprised if you were feeling depressed with life but here is a difference between what we commonly call depressed and clinical depression, the latter is far more serious and common symptoms would be a lack of  personal care, lack of motivation, not wanting to get up out of bed in the morning and more. Mostly we mean we are unhappy which is not as serious but should be attended to before it becomes more serious. 

Seeing the gp is a good idea obviously but if you can avoid taking tablets for mild depression, they tend to actually make things worse over the long term. Try to get a referral from your doctor for free counselling sessions which may well be available at your surgery. A counsellor may be able to help you explore ways in which you can relieve some of the factors causing your present low mood, by which I mean psychological factors of course. 

Best wishes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 692 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Posts: 5,856Member Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for sharing this with us @jnpsmum, and best of luck for your upcoming appointment. You'll be in our thoughts!
Sign in or join us to comment.