Compensation from DWP for mobility car — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Compensation from DWP for mobility car

Options
jandavis
jandavis Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Tribunal appeal reinstated my higher rate mobility, but due to delay between mobility car being taken and tribunal appeal I was forced to purchase the car and I am out of pocket by around £9k. I can't get another motability car for 6 months. Does anyone know if I can claim compensation from DWP?

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @jandavis welcome to the community, I have moved your post to the ask a benefits advisor category so hopefully you can get some advice on this soon.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi jandavis,

The point where you usually get compensation is at the point of the original PIP decision. It's possible to get compensation from Motability at that point. They have recently changed the scheme, but it's likely that at the time this all happened to you it was as follows:

£2,000 if you were on the scheme prior to January 2013
    £1000 if you started a lease agreement between Jan 2013 and Dec 2013.

The compensation scheme changed on 20th April 2017 so I'm assuming the new arrangements don't apply to you, but you can read about them here, just in case.

Regarding other compensation though, you could also consider a complaint against the DWP and/or the assessment company. This would have to focus on their poor decision making/assessing. For example, if the DWP had all the information they needed to make a correct decision, and still made a wrong one, then arguably they have caused you all this expense. It's useful when you're making a complaint to detail the expenses and how they occurred (but it may be that you have to take off the compensation you were entitled to from Motability - or complain to them if they didn't offer it to you!)

Here's a link to the DWP complaints system.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.