problems with DLA for my child. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

problems with DLA for my child.

Options
Amy85
Amy85 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My daughter has been in receipt of higher rate care, lower rate mobility for approx. 5 years. We have just completed her renewal forms and been told that she is no longer entitled to the care component. Her circumstances haven't changed. She still needs the same amount of care. Her condition is permanent. We have never had any trouble when previously renewing her claim. I asked for a mandatory reconsideration as I believe the decision is wrong. I have phoned today for an update to be told that they have not looked at it as a reconsideration but as a change of circumstances and they are still refusing to give her the care component. I have now been told I have to wait for a letter off them and put in another request for a mandatory reconsideration - I have just done all this! Has anyone been through anything like this before? Can anyone offer any advice? It would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Amy85 welcome to the community.

@Debbie_Scope or @BenefitsTrainingCo can you help at all?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello. This must be very frustrating for you, but don't despair! Before you can start to challenge this properly you need to know exactly what it is that you are challenging, i.e. what is this change of circumstances they think has taken place etc. You also need to know exactly what is required in terms of mandatory reconsideration - i.e. what are you requesting be reconsidered. You are going to have to hang on until the letter reaches you in order to find out exactly what's behind their thinking. It might be a good idea to use the time while you are waiting for the letter to see if you can get help from a local advice agency. The Scope helpline has information about advice resources near you,  and it might be good to get an appointment booked in even though you are not sure yet what you need. There is also excellent information available on other websites: www.benefitsandwork.co.uk, www.turn2us.org.uk to name two. You might also want to approach any medical or care professionals you are in touch with, and put them on alert to prepare supporting evidence confirming that there has been no change of circumstances.....not to write anything yet, but that you might need to them to do so. Please post back again when you have had your letter and we will try and advise you further. 
    All the best,
    Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Amy85,

Welcome to the community.

I mirror what @BenefitsTrainingCo advise and if you need some further resources or help finding local advice get in touch with me or my colleagues at the helpline.

Best wishes
    Debbie

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.