If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

blood tests

nannydebbienannydebbie Posts: 47Member Connected
hi there i suffer with arthritis in most parts of me body just getting worse dr has booked me in for a special blood test anti ccp abs  any one understand what this is for many thanks 

Replies

• Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Posts: 7,732Member Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nannydebbie I found this info on the Rheumatoid Arthritis website:

Anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide (anti-CCP) is an antibody present in most rheumatoid arthritis patients. Levels of anti-CCP can be detected in a patient through a blood test. A positive anti-CCP  test result can be used in conjunction with other blood tests, imaging tests, and physical examinations to reach a rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis.
    A patient with rheumatoid arthritis who tests positive for anti-CCP in their blood has what’s known as seropositive rheumatoid arthritis. This is as opposed to someone who has been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis but tests negative for anti-CCP antibodies and/or rheumatoid factor.
    A positive anti-CCP test result in rheumatoid arthritis patients can be used as a prognostic tool to determine the severity of symptoms the patient may have throughout the disease course. Anti-CCP positive patients can potentially experience a more aggressive disease course. However, this can also depend on many different factors and varies from patient to patient. The prognosis of anti-CCP positive patients also depends greatly on early diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis and how soon treatment can begin.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • nannydebbienannydebbie Posts: 47Member Connected
    @Sam_Scope thanks for that got drs again next ill let you no outcome 

Sign in or join us to comment.