Suspected Autism in my 3 1/2 year old - need support — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Suspected Autism in my 3 1/2 year old - need support

klj2013
klj2013 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2017 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hello i have a 3 1/2 year old with suspected autuism awaiting cadu assessment just wondered if i could hear other peoples stories ways of coping as i feel like dont know how much i can take doing this all on my own with 3 boys feel defeated failuire 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @klj2013 welcome to the community, I have moved your post to the ASD category so you can speak to other parents and carers in a similar situation to you.

Are you getting any support from others, your health visitor? GP? 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2017
    Hi @klj2013

It is Great to see you I hope that we can help you ???

Please please have a good look at our home page where you will find plenty of info & also Advisors to had.

We also have a very active online community where you can meet & greet other people in similar situations as you ???

Please please let us know if we can help you further ????
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    I'm not asking where you live, but I used to work with North East Autism Society in North East England. If you live there do get in touch as there was so much support to be had. Wonder if there are charities near where you live. 

You can do this. It's massive and hard but with more support, tools and as you gain more knowledge and experience it will not feel so defeating. 

There will be better people to give you advice on here..... Do rant and get support. Have you joined any private Facebook groups? Some venting can go a long way...... 

• MikeBroderick
    MikeBroderick Community member Posts: 235 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    Hi @klj2013

It must be very challenging, but take heart. You are reaching out, which is a very strong, positive step, and you are anything but a failure.

We have a lot of good information, discussions, and expertise here which should help.

Check out our ASD and Parents and Carers discussions, and also our Ask an ASD advisor section.

@VioletFenn can you help please?

Best wishes to you @klj2013.
  • VioletFenn
    VioletFenn Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Hi @klj2013

Mike's right - you're absolutely not a failure and asking for help is the biggest and most useful step.

My first suggestion would be to contact your local ASD support group - not only will they have knowledge of what practical help is available in your area, they also usually hold coffee mornings (that you can often take your children to if necessary) which help connect people in similar situations. 

Personally I found that talking to others in the same boat helped more than anything, even if they couldn't do anything practical. So do keep in touch.

Violet
    ASD advisor, Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.