The DWP have as good as admitted that mandatory reconsiderations are a sham. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The DWP have as good as admitted that mandatory reconsiderations are a sham.

Options
Geoark
Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger

In response to a recent Freedom of Information query, the DWP revealed that they have a target of upholding the original decision in 80% of all mandatory reconsideration requests.

Worse still, they managed to exceed that target in the year to March 2017 by turning down 87.5% of all applications.

The DWP have since claimed that PIP is not included in the 80% target.

However, it remains the case that over 80% of PIP mandatory reconsideration requests also fail to get the decision changed – however coincidental the DWP might claim that figure is.

63% of claimants who have their mandatory reconsideration request turned down and who then go on to appeal to an independent tribunal, win their case.

Continue reading: https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/3632-24-may-2017-update?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Benefits and Work&utm_content=v2+May+24+2017+newsletter

The sad thing is that the FOI reveal not that the mandatory reviews are a shamble, but they have been very effective in what they were designed to do, which was to cut down the number of appeals, even if the success rate has remained high.

As an individual I stood alone.
As a member of a group I did things.
As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.