My authority wants a 42 year old man in private rented to strip wash downstairs use a commode .He i — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My authority wants a 42 year old man in private rented to strip wash downstairs use a commode .He i

Options
cunningham94
cunningham94 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
He is a single parent of a 14 year old daughter. Isn't this an infringement of his personal dignity and shouldnt they be rehousing them/

Comments

• cunningham94
    cunningham94 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Please help,this is embarrassing not only for him but also his daughter
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @cunningham94 welcome to the community, this sounds really tough.

Does this person get any outside support? @Debbie_Scope do you have any advice about this?

We have lots of information about housing and social care here, I hope this helps.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @cunningham94,

Welcome to the community.

Housing is a very complex area. 

Has your son had an Occupational Therapist's assessment in his home? The idea being that there could be aids or adaptations to help him remain in his own home. If there are no aids or adaptations that can be provided then the local authority can look at rehousing him. Even then it can take a long time to go through the process.

If you'd like to tell me more about your son and his disability I would be more than happy to discuss the options further. It's not right that anyone should have to strip wash and use a commode because they cannot access their bathroom, however in the current climate and with such a high demand on housing, it's becoming all too common. If there are other ways in which the local authority can meet your son's needs without rehousing, they will be explored too.

Has your son had a care needs assessment to get some support in place?
    Is he getting the right financial support? i.e is he claiming disability benefits?

It's a good idea to look at your local council's housing allocations policy. Housing allocations policies vary from one local authority to another so it's best to check that you meet their criteria. If you have difficulty finding it, let me know which council your son comes under and I will look it up for you.

I hope that you find the discussions within this category helpful, there's lot of information contained within the discussions and it all may help you build a picture of what to expect and help you make a plan moving forward.

All the best 
    Debbie

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.