Why my say don't count — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why my say don't count

Harp
Harp Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
Being born with sight and speech and language problems in the 70's it hard to have a say to your family or older friends that is ok to be disabled and be in the public these days and I might have a speech problem but I do understand
https://www.facebook.com/1Voice.Vision.of.the.heart/
Everyone has the right to have a say in what ever method they use

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Harp do you find that your older family and friends feel negatively towards your impairment?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Harp
    Harp Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    Sam_Scope said:
    Hi @Harp do you find that your older family and friends feel negatively towards your impairment?
    Yes. Quick brief on my life,  I was born with speech and language, balance and coordination, as well a few sight problems, I have started to get diagnois with Dyspraxia (that another headache for another time). I went away to boarding school for my speech and language problem from age 8 to 16. While i was there my gran died but my parent said that i couldn't go to the funeral cus i don't understand. I did understand but since i was upset and angrey, I couldn't say i did understand.  Most my life I have live with that pain in me since i came across Dyspraxia when i started to understand my life.

My brother 2nd wife always talked down to me, tease me about my speech and talk to me through my mum, but i wasn't allow to say to her cus don't want any hassle towards them cus they separtated for awhile but got back together cus of kid.

My mum especially said that my disabilities not as bad as others.  When i say i can't do something cus of my disabilities, my mum said that i not trying enough.

I have tried a few times by letter to discuss issues but they just swive around them.

I know it is a different generation but by now in this era the should accepted i got disabilities.

This is one of the reasons I set up 1 Voice

https://www.facebook.com/1Voice.Vision.of.the.heart/
    Everyone has the right to have a say in what ever method they use

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.