Visual impairment and support — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Visual impairment and support

EJS_96
EJS_96 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited June 2017 in Sensory impairments
Hi

Im Ella and I'm 20, currently studying at university (just finished 2nd year.) Recently, I have noticed the effects of my VI have been making me feel quite down and isolated ( not necessarily physical isolation but more like I'm not feeling like I can participate), what I mean by this is when I'm watching football or rugby (live and on TV) it's difficult for me to keep up with what is happening and other situations. When I was younger I think I was supported by the RNIB and my local councils' VI team, me and sometimes my family would be invited to events where I could meet other children my age who were blind/VI, so I had someone to speak to in a similar situation. My question is, is there any type of peer support for adults? I understand these forums could be one, but maybe support in person also like meeting people etc? I am an independent person I live away from home in term time, etc, it's just sometimes I want to speak to someone who actually understands partly what I'm going through. Any help is much appreciated. 

Comments

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Welcome. I'm also VI and found there's no support at all for adults. There appears to be only support for parents of young children and people 65+.
  • EJS_96
    EJS_96 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    That's frustrating, I found the RNIB helpline info on their website and other helpful tools but I don't think it's what I'm looking for. Not sure how this lack of services can be helped/changed. Most things are done online these days which is good but sometimes it makes me feel isolated also. Has anyone experience this feeling before? 
  • Harp
    Harp Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    Welcome. I'm also VI and found there's no support at all for adults. There appears to be only support for parents of young children and people 65+.
    I have sight problems and learning difficulties. I found the help for people is for the old person in life, and help for people with learning difficulties is for children and young people till they come out of education. If you between them ages, you don't exist.  I been told there is help for adults but you need to find it yourself cus it is seam not to be offered. 
    https://www.facebook.com/1Voice.Vision.of.the.heart/
    Everyone has the right to have a say in what ever method they use

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Yes, I've got a learning disability too and was left to it post-diagnosis. (diagnosed as an adult)
  • Harp
    Harp Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    I found many adults with learning siabilities getting diagnois or re-diagnois had to go private cus NHS won't do it. I thought if you was born before a certain time, you should be about to get re-diagnois on the NHS

https://www.facebook.com/1Voice.Vision.of.the.heart/
    Everyone has the right to have a say in what ever method they use

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.