If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

Support for special outing

MarionCooperMarionCooper Posts: 2Member Listener
My mother would like to attend her grandaughter's wedding this summer but this is proving difficult to arrange due to her physical difficulties.
A stroke has left my mother with a right sided paralysis and with incontinence. She currently resides in a care home and requires a lot of support including lifting using a hoist.
Does anyone know of a service that could accompany her to the wedding and be available to assist with toileting and /or changing?
Her daughters are happy to be involved but have no experience with hoists and are concerned for her safety?
Many thanks for any suggestions.


  • mossycowmossycow Posts: 486Community champion Pioneering
    Obviously it depends on her needs... But you can book wheelchairs to borrow from British Red Cross  they are fab! 

    Sorry I can't be more help

    "I'm trying to live like a random poem I read that ended 'to bloom where we are planted"

  • Abi222Abi222 Posts: 14Member Connected
    Hi, some private care companies may offer services to accompany people to events as a companion/care worker. This may be worth a try?  could the care home offer a solution/suggestion or could you perhaps pay a member of their bank staff privately? hope you find a solution
  • MarionCooperMarionCooper Posts: 2Member Listener
    Many thanks Abi and Mossy.
  • Kathy_BramleyKathy_Bramley Posts: 132Member Courageous
    edited June 2017
    You need to make sure that the reception venue  has a changing places toilet. And hopefully the wedding place, or plan it another way.  And thus hopefully try to make sure there's one nearby most of the time. They're not as common as we'd like them to be. There's private/commercial community nursing teams in most  local areas, such as Bluebird Care, though there are many and I don't know enough about Bluebird Care or any of them to endorse them or otherwise. Best to do your research with something like that in mind but I think the elderly are their main business and they can be flexible. 

    The reason I focus on private care  is that I don't know adult social care would be able to or if setting up a personalisation budget could happen fast enough. 
    Lucky unlucky
    Guess my diagnosis,
    It may help, but
    Don't guess my kids's
Sign in or join us to comment.