Support for special outing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Support for special outing

MarionCooper
MarionCooper Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi,
My mother would like to attend her grandaughter's wedding this summer but this is proving difficult to arrange due to her physical difficulties.
A stroke has left my mother with a right sided paralysis and with incontinence. She currently resides in a care home and requires a lot of support including lifting using a hoist.
Does anyone know of a service that could accompany her to the wedding and be available to assist with toileting and /or changing?
Her daughters are happy to be involved but have no experience with hoists and are concerned for her safety?
Many thanks for any suggestions.
Marion

Comments

• mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Obviously it depends on her needs... But you can book wheelchairs to borrow from British Red Cross  they are fab! 

Sorry I can't be more help
  • Abi222
    Abi222 Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    Hi, some private care companies may offer services to accompany people to events as a companion/care worker. This may be worth a try?  could the care home offer a solution/suggestion or could you perhaps pay a member of their bank staff privately? hope you find a solution
     :)
  • MarionCooper
    MarionCooper Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Many thanks Abi and Mossy.
      :)
  • Kathy_Bramley
    Kathy_Bramley Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    edited June 2017
    You need to make sure that the reception venue  has a changing places toilet. And hopefully the wedding place, or plan it another way.  And thus hopefully try to make sure there's one nearby most of the time. They're not as common as we'd like them to be. There's private/commercial community nursing teams in most  local areas, such as Bluebird Care, though there are many and I don't know enough about Bluebird Care or any of them to endorse them or otherwise. Best to do your research with something like that in mind but I think the elderly are their main business and they can be flexible. 

The reason I focus on private care  is that I don't know adult social care would be able to or if setting up a personalisation budget could happen fast enough. 
    Autistic mother (they/them) not Autism Mom

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.