Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

Should I apply for carers allowance?

AvrilGAvrilG Member Posts: 4 Listener
My 4 year old daughter is Autistic, goes to a SEND nursery and they have done a EHCP so she can move into thier school in September. Due to her age, I am getting in courage to prepare for work but with the job centre advising me to claim carers allowance so I can stay on Income support instead. As I am also disabled, receiving PIP with mobility, I am concerned as a few friends have told me that if I claim carers I will loose my disability as it will be classed as if I am a carer then I cannot claim as disabled. Please can you advise the best course for me?

Replies

• NystagmiteNystagmite Member Posts: 609 Pioneering
    You can claim carers as long as why you claim carers isn't the same reason you claim PIP.
  • AvrilGAvrilG Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thanks. The position I am in is that, according to the Job Centre, even though my daughter is disabled, in reciepts of DLA and needs a carer - I have to claim carers allowance to prove that I am her carer (even though I am a single parent). Will I loose my PIP if I claim as her carer?
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hello AvrilG

Lots of people legitimately claim both PIP and Carer's Allowance. It should be absolutely fine for you to claim both Carer's Allowance and Income Support in respect of your daughter.

David
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • Briony01Briony01 Member Posts: 10 Listener
    Hi I thought you couldn't claim carers and pip.??
    Thanks briony01
  • AvrilGAvrilG Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thank everyone, I have put my claim in now. Citizens advice are not very helpful on things and the authorities don't advise and help, they just say "you have to make a claim 1st then we'll let you know"
Sign in or join us to comment.