Suspected asd in girls — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Suspected asd in girls

louise76
louise76 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My daughter is 8 years old and myself and my partner have suspected something since she was 2 but only over the last 6 months it's being recognized, my family support worker has already said if she's not autistic she'd eat her hat.
My question to you is although it's being investigated and yet to be seen by the asd team which at the moment have stated there's 20 month waiting list, can I apply for DLA now? As a friend of mine said she got here before diagnosis.

Comments

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    You can apply for DLA without a diagnosis. But you still have to have evidence backing up her needs, which have to be greater than a child of her own age.
  • VioletFenn
    VioletFenn Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    My son was awarded DLA quite some months before his diagnosis. As @Nystagmite says, you need to have evidence of needs and you need a LOT of it. My son had already been seen by an Ed Psych and a CAMHS assessor as part of the ongoing diagnosis process, so I used their reports as backup. 

Get copies together of absolutely anything that might be useful as evidence - school letters re behaviour, photocopies of TA notes if you have a home-school book, that sort of thing. There's no such thing as 'too much' when it comes to DLA applications! 

It's also worth reading through advice on how to fill in the application form - there is definitely a knack to wording it so that you get the help you need. NAS have some good advice here

Do keep in touch and let us know how you get on! 

Violet
    ASD advisor, Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.