Enablement team — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Enablement team

shu
shu Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi

I suffer from muscular dystrophy, after long time being in denial and trying to do it by myself or with help only from my family I realised I do need help from others. 

So I have applied for social scare and after long wait, I finally had a home visit from social services to do an assessment. 

After assessment the social service is trying to put me through the enablement team. What I understand is that they will teach me ways to do things on my own. I have informed them that I don't see the point of the enablement team because I know what I am capable of and I have aids I need it is just physically I can't do certain things and I just need someone to help me physically with that. I feel this will extend time until I can get the actual care I need. 

Has anyone experienced anything like this?
do I have to go through the enablement to get the care I need. 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Shu.

A very big Welcome !!!

A number of years ago I did the same thing as you.

I thought that "I was Superman" following my Stroke at the age off 32.

I keep doing things 100 miles a hour in the fast lane.

I think my mind was the same as before my Stroke but physically my body was shot.

Please let me know if I can help.

Steve.

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shu and welcome to the community.

I have no idea how it will effect you if you refuse, I know in some areas, not sure about all, that is part of the assessment process. The reasoning behind it I do understand. Once completed if you still need help they will assist you in getting it, as well as how much it is likely to cost you. Obviously the more you are able to do for yourself, even with additional aids, the less it is likely to cost you.

I have seen the figures worked out whereby someone on ESA and PIP still need to contribute.

I would suggest going ahead with the enablement team referral, on a positive note they may help you stay independent, if not they will have a much better assessment of your needs.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• shu
    shu Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for your replies. i went ahead with it and I only had to do it for a week. 

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    @shu thank you for letting us know. 

Hopefully you will now get the help you need. If you don't mind me asking, how did you find the experience?

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shu

Thats great !!!

Please please let us know if we can help/support you more ???

Can you also keep us up to speed with things if you don't mind ???

Have a great day !!!!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.