PIP walking times (rather than distances) — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP walking times (rather than distances)

Matilda
Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
edited June 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I won my tribunal appeal a month ago.  But both the Atos paramedic and the tribunal doctor asked me for how long can I walk (don't recall either of them asking how far I could walk).  So what are the medics and paramedics trying to find out by asking for how long someone can walk, when PIP is supposed to be about how far?

The doctor seemed to think that the question of for how long I could walk was straightforward.  I asked him if he meant :

for how long before I needed to stop and rest for the first time

or did he mean for how long in total in one walking episode, inclusive of rest stops?

or did he mean for how long in total, exclusive of rest stops?  

He didn't appear to understand my question!  His question never was really answered as he didn't explain what he meant by 'for how long'.

Comments

• BeccaShark123
    BeccaShark123 Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    Hi Matilda,

Hope you're doing well.

I had a similar experience to you when applying for PIP. The assessor explained to me that what he meant was that the distances (measured in yards) were how far I could walk without being in so much pain or discomfort, so much so that I needed to rest, as I have fibromyalgia, joint hypermobility and some issues with my back.

For PIP assessment criteria, It's a tricky one with some disabilities. For example, if I was walking somewhere, I'd have no choice but to push through and get there: I've quite often walked to the corner shop and collapsed in a chair when I got home! So think of it as ''What is the maximum, on a bad day, that I can endure walking without being in pain or discomfort?" as I would push through the pain if I needed to, and then rest when I was able to do so, because I am in pain all the time, so 'before you need to rest' does not cover it for me personally.

I hope that clears things up a little- feel free to approach me with a follow up question if you want to!

Becca :)
  • Matilda
    edited June 2017
    Thank you @BeccaShark123

The criteria for getting around are measured in metres.  Surely if someone at assessment said they push through pain to walk for 20 minutes and cover 300 metres, even though it almost causes them to collapse, would not be awarded any PIP mobility?
  • BeccaShark123
    BeccaShark123 Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    Hi Matilda,

Apologies- yes it is metres! I  have got out my PIP award letter to try and clarify what I mean, as you're making a very valid point! I was awarded points for 'Using an aid or appliance, can walk 20 metres, but no more than 50' 

I should have probably explained- a lot of journeys I do are in the car, pretty much door-to-door. Me walking to the shop isn't something I do on a regular basis.

Looking at the assessor's comments, whether you fit a descriptor is based on what happens on the 'majority of days' so, for the majority of days, 20-50 metres is roughly how far I can go. I could push through if needed, but I suppose if I was having a bad day, I would be doing as little walking as possible. The majority of days my pain does restrict my mobility. The assessor also notes separately that in the assessment it was shown I had little power or coordination in my legs, which must factor in somewhere?

I hope that makes a bit more sense,

Becca :)
  • Matilda
    edited June 2017
    @BeccaShark123

Thank you.

I am referring to time, not distance.

I understand about how far - metres.  But the Atos paramedic and the tribunal doctor both asked for how long - minutes I can walk, not how far.

So I am curious as to why a PIP assessor and a tribunal doctor were interested in for how long, not how far, I can walk.
  • dedus
    dedus Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    How the assesses work anything out baffles me !
  • Matilda
    @dedus

It's guesswork at best.  And, if they can't even guess, they just make it up.  Hence the number of complaints about assessors lying in their reports.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Matilda

It's great to hear that you got an entitlement following your appeal tribunal.

Time is important because you have to be able to complete the PIP activities reliably. Reliably includes: safely; to an appropriate standard, in a timely manner; and repeatedly. And so the time it takes you to walk could affect this.

David
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Matilda
    Thank you, David.

I'm not sure that is what the assessor at least was trying to ascertain. I told her that I could walk for three or four minutes but she didn't ask the distance covered in that time. The DWP case worker put three four minutes in their award letter implying that that was a fairly capable walking ability. In my MR request I put three or four minutes to walk 20 meters on a really bad day

I asked the tribunal doctor did he mean how long before I needed to stop and rest but he just repeated how long could I walk for.  In the end he settled for how long could I walk round a shop including rest stops (10 to 15 minutes).
  • jjdd70
    jjdd70 Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    matilda did you get a letter after your tribunal from pip saying they are considering asking for reason of discussion etc 
  • Matilda
    @jjdd70

No, I was lucky.  DWP have paid me.

I suggest that you phone DWP and ask them what the delay is.  Hope your husband gets his payment soon.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    edited July 2017
    Matilda as David has advised, both time AND distance are relevant to PIP. Time is relevant because if it takes you more than twice as long as someone without your condition, you should be considered not to be able to do it. Distance is relevant because we need to know what it is you cannot do (the relevant distances being more than one, 20, 50 and 200 metres depending on which descriptor is being considered).

jjdd as discussed in the other post you made, I'm afraid your husband won't get paid until/unless the DWP decide not to appeal (which I really hope is the case) - if they apply for permission to appeal you will have to wait until the further appeal route is exhausted.

Will

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    edited July 2017
    @jjdd70 Will is giving you the regulations regarding DWP's right to appeal but please also take note of what others have told you regarding the likelihood of this happening  which is very slim. It would be a good idea for someone to make a Freedom of Information request to DWP to ask for the number of appeals made by them against tribunal decisions in a certain timescale. That would help to put this in perspective and give people peace of mind which is what DWP are determined we won't have even after winning the appeals.  
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    edited July 2017
    @wildlife

That's a very good idea. What we can say is that the DWP are using this delaying tactic (asking for statement of reasons) more often than they used to. I'd say anecdotally they are also appealing more often, but it would help to know the figures.

Will

• Matilda
    Will

At no point did the assessor ask about distance as well, only about time

The tribunal doctor in one question also only asked about time not distance.  In a separate question the doc asked about distance alone.

At no point did either assessor or doctor consider distance and time together.
  • marymoo
    marymoo Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi when l got my assement he put walk and stand  a 1minite down in 20 meters  l said l have to stop and start he never put that down  my carer told him to he said if l put more than that 1 minute  won't get my car l never got full points for it anyway the letter said it's just over 20 meters how do they work this out please 

• Matilda
    @marymoo

Assessors don't try to measure walking distances accurately!  They find ridiculous excuses to claim that someone can walk farther than 20 meters.

Have you asked DWP for a copy of the assessor's report and have you asked for a mandatory reconsideration (MR)?

Try to get some local f2f advice from CAB or similar.
  • marymoo
    Only got it yesterday so going to ring CAB up on Monday morning 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi marrymoo

The generally accepted scale is

Fast walking                  90 meters per minute
    Slow walking                 60 meters per minute
    Very slow walking     <  45 meters per minute

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • marymoo
    edited April 2018
    I did say its takes me longer to walk than a 1 minite because l have to stop but the asseser said will put down 1 minite because you won't get the points for the car has l said l never got them anyway l got 10 points 
  • Matilda
    @marymoo

Assessors do lie.  My assessor wrote that because she watched me walk 16m from waiting area to assessment room then I must be able to walk 20m - 50m, which is a ridiculous claim.  On the other hand, tribunals are impartial and at my tribunal the panel agreed that I cannot walk more than 20m before I need to stop and rest.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.