Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

Carers Allowance

IqbalIqbal Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi Debbie

I care for my brother.  I recently left my full time job to part time to care for him and then also applied for carers allowance, but now found out that my brothers pension credit has been reduced because he has a carer.  When I rang and asked them why this has happened, they said because he was getting server disability premium with his pension credit!  I don't want him to loose out on his benefit.  Is there anything else I can claim for so my brother does not loose any of his benefit?

Thank you and waiting for your reply.  

Replies

• BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Dear Iqbal.....I'm afraid this happens a lot! The Severe Disability Premium is paid as part of means tested benefits, mainly income support, ESA, housing benefit and the guarantee credit part of pension credit. It is paid in very specific circumstances - namely, the claimant must be treated as living alone, must be getting middle or high rate DLA care, or either rate of Attendance Allowance or daily living PIP AND no-one can be receiving carer's allowance for looking after the claimant. As soon as you started to claim carer's allowance, then that third condition was no longer satisfied, and so your brother lost his severe disability premium, as in effect, it started to be paid to you in the form of carer's allowance. As I see it, your options are 1) accept the situation, and remember that you may be able to work out a private arrangement with your brother that suits you both, especially if you can do some part time work (you can earn up to £116 a week without losing your CA) or 2) give up your CA and let your brother reclaim his severe disability premium. The downside of that option for you, as well as losing CA of course, is that you will no longer get the Class 1 national insurance credit that comes with claiming CA. You may be able to talk this through with someone at Carer's UK helpline: 0808 808 7777 before you make a decision.
    I hope this helps!
    Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.