Re school (and extra test time for hemiplegia and ASD) — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Re school (and extra test time for hemiplegia and ASD)

kayleel
kayleel Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2017 in Education
Hi just after some advice or to be pointed in the right direction please on extra time or additional support during kent tests/grammer school tests and if so what and how to go about it. My son has hemiplegia and asd. Many thanks

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @kayleel and welcome to the community.

Yes, there is a range of additional support available for these tests, including up to 25% extra time in some cases, however they have to be applied for by the school.

You would need to speak to the headteacher and let them know you would like your son to go to a grammar school. This should be done as soon as possible as there are some tight deadlines and evidence has to be provided by the school.

http://www.kentadvice.co.uk/secondary-school-admissions/kent-grammar-schools.html

You will need to scroll to roughly half way down the page to find the relevant information.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• MikeBroderick
    MikeBroderick Community member Posts: 235 Pioneering
    Hi @kayleel:

Welcome to the Community!

I think @Geoark has probably answered your question with his great response, but there are some other resources here that you may find helpful, including discussions about ASD, Education and Learners, and Parents and Carers, as well as an ASD Advisor, and an Educational Psychologist.

You can find all of these resources in our Online Community Categories page.

I think @geoark's advice about speaking the Headteacher asap is important.

I grew up with Cerebral Palsy in the United States, and we worked through the school to request extra time for the very important SAT tests. It made all the difference in terms of me having a level playing field.

Best wishes.

• jackiewackie
    jackiewackie Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Speak to the seco teacher at the school. My son has just completed his gcses and was given rest time when needed and the time was added back on at the end. 
    He  was allowed to do all exams on a the ipad and in maths had a scriber. 

It made his last year at school much easier and less stress for him and us..
    Good luck 
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @kayleel,

I echo all of the great advice given by @Geoark, @MikeBroderick and @jackiewackie.

During my exams at school, I was very fortunate to have a wonderful SEN teacher who was able to sort out extra time and a laptop in exams. I am mildly deaf and I get a really bad aching sensation in my arm if I write for long periods of time. After speaking to the SEN teacher who deals with exam support, I was able to get the support I need.

If there isn't someone like this available in the school, then as Geoark mentions, speaking to the headteacher or someone else in a key position should be able to point you in the right direction and help your son get the support he needs.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please do get in touch!
    Liam

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.