My friend and me — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My friend and me

aries
aries Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
would keeping a food diary to possibly food/Liquid allergies be a good idea? Have uncontrollable bloating and bad tummy? Then perhaps go to the GP with her/him and find the common factor? 
Thank you 
Aries

Comments

• KirstenNutritionAdvisor
    KirstenNutritionAdvisor Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Hello !

yes that's the best place to start!

however thankfully lots of people who suffer from bloating and bad tummys don't have allergies or intolerances. 

Bloating can be caused by a number of things. One of the first is stress. The production of stress hormones causes blood to be diverted away from digestion to your periphery so that you are powered with a good blood supply and oxygenation to get out of danger.

However, too many people are often stressed regularly due to their pace of life or perception of pressure and urgency. When we eat in this state there may not be an efficient blood supply supporting the digestive system.

Stomach acid production can be compromised during stressful periods – or every day of some people's lives – and this can compromise optimal digestive processes right from the outset.  Think of your food as a big long string of circles, or pearls on a string. Your teeth and saliva go to work first on breaking the circles apart. Stomach acid then continues that break-down process.

Poor stomach acid production alone can lead to bloating. When food is not broken down sufficiently it may arrive in the intestines in a form that is still too large. Here the bacteria that inhabit the large intestine will begin to ferment whatever food is delivered to them, and produce gas leading to the bloated feeling.

Proper chewing is the first step to helping reduce bloating. Sit in a calm state and focus on chewing your food properly. You might be surprised at how much of a difference this can make.

Apple cider vinegar or lemon juice in water before meals can  help to increase stomach acid production, which further helps with proper digestion of food. It is also a good idea to drink water away from meals rather than with them to maximise the action of stomach acid.

Sometimes bloating is caused by the consumption of foods that your body cannot digest efficiently. 

However, if there is a food that you suspect may be causing your bloating, see a health professional experienced in this area and they will likely guide you to trial its removal for a four week period, while still ensuring you obtain optimal nutrition.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.