Wheelchair advice for my mum - recommendations — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wheelchair advice for my mum - recommendations

ANNT
ANNT Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, I have signed up primarily to get advice on wheelchairs. We have a lightweight wheelchair for mum that I push. It is fine in airports and shopping centres, although perhaps she would prefer the option to self propel a little inside shops.
However we have been trying to go round gardens and along rougher paths this summer and it has been so hard. The little wheels at the front get stuck in the smallest of potholes, even on pavements. I'd love her to have an all terrain electric chair but the cost would be prohibitive and it does have to go in the car, although we do have a big boot.
So I was looking for suggestions or recommendations. I found the excel g-explorer which claims to be all terrain because it has mountain bike type tyres on the back, but it still has small front wheels, so I imagine potholes and rough ground (eg gravel at the entrance to many country car parks) would still be a problem.
This must be a very common problem?
Hope someone has some ideas.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ANNT welcome to the community!

I have moved your post over to this category to make sure more people can see it and offer their experiences.

I have a lightweight wheelchair, it sounds similar to yours and was ideal when I went on holiday not long after surgery but like you, we found it difficult to use as a main chair on roads/rough terrain.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • ANNT
    ANNT Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks Sam. Good to know you understand. So many people must have this problem. Last time we went out we could not even get out of the gravel car park. Had to give up!
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    We tried to use ours in Goa!! It was not good!!

I have only used a wheelchair for temporary times after numerous surgeries so I dont feel experienced enough to offer any thoughts on better choices, but Im sure there will be some other members along to help soon.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 224 Pioneering
    Hi @ANNT

If you need impartial advice on wheelchairs, you can call Disabled Living Foundation's helpline on 0300 999 0004 (Monday to Friday, 10 am to 4 pm).

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.