Divorce as a disabled person — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Divorce as a disabled person

Options
Guitaralf
Guitaralf Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I'm registered blind and waiting with bated breath for my PIP assessment. I'm also embroiled in a marriage separation and probable divorce. I wonder if anyone has any experience of divorce as a disabled person? My wife is sole breadwinner, and the house is in her name. Very worried about my home and my future, which has meant anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds.

Comments

• gnmeads
    gnmeads Community member Posts: 187 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Guitaralf welcome to the scope community
    Sorry to hear about your problems. I haven't quite got the same problems but I am registered partially sighted and my wife is the main breadwinner. So I can understand how difficult it can be in relationships.

I think the best advice I can give you on that last question is if you are ever made homeless they will put you down as a priority purely because you're registered blind.

As for your p i p assessments I'm afraid all you can do is sit and wait. Believe me you're not the only one. Here's a link to help:
    https://www.gov.uk/emergency-housing-if-homeless
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Guitaralf welcome to the community!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @Guitaralf,

I got divorced last year mainly due to becoming disabled. It is even more stressful by being disabled. The court itself had steep slopes and steps.

Things get split down the middle by value usually although you can potentially reach an agreement on specific items.

The court people were very helpful and sympathetic to my condition while staying impartial.

You need to consider what you need as sustainable accommodation when you are alone afterwards.

Even a "quickie" divorce with both parties having an agreed plan will take six months so you have some time to deal with finances etc. Selling a property can take ages too.

You should talk to your Council although these days they have few resources.

Being alone and disabled is very frightening and there is no option but to try to find a way to accept it and manage it as best you can.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.