Groups & activities for my 6years old granddaughter with turner syndrome in Blackburn — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Groups & activities for my 6years old granddaughter with turner syndrome in Blackburn

gayle0106
gayle0106 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
ive just joined with the hope that people can help me find groups n activities for my 6years old granddaughter with turner symdrome

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @gayle0106 and welcome to the community.

My first thought for your granddaughter she is still a little young for, Brownies. However they also have a Rainbow group for 5 - 7 year olds which would get her into brownies later on. you can find out more information at https://www.girlguiding.org.uk/information-for-parents/register-your-daughter/

You can find out more by clicking on the links at the top.

It may seem old fashioned, but would give your granddaughter a range of experiences, and I have seen how the girl guiding has changed young girls lives, my sister for one.

With regards to activities one of the greatest gifts we can give young children is our time. They don't tend to worry about where they go, as long as they have your attention and enjoy themselves. I used to take my daughter to all sort of places, hidden gardens, museums, parks or just for walks. Of course being in London helped as there is so much about that are easy to get to. A pirate ship, canals, museums, and we would talk about what we saw and sometimes make up stories.

Sometimes I would look things up so I could point things out to her, for example canal locks, why canals were important etc.

I later found out how important this can be when working as a teaching assistant and listening to a ten year old reading. He was an excellent reader so asked him about some of the things he was reading, like cobblestones, canal locks etc. He did not have a clue, which shocked me, but when I spoke to his teacher she pointed out that many of the children don't get to visit many places and so don't get to see these.

Going to the library once a month was one of my daughter's favourite activities. Even before she could read one of her favourite activities was for me to sit on the floor while she sat on a chair and 'read' to me.

A lot depends on what sort of things she enjoys, but you can help to broaden her mind.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @gayle0106 welcome to the community - where abouts do you live?

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • gayle0106
    i live in blackburn lancashire
  • gayle0106
    i must also add my granddaughter has LD

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.