Just had my pip assessement — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Just had my pip assessement

Options
ocdman
ocdman Community member Posts: 58 Connected
Just had my pip medical, what a nightmare so ive put my complaint in to atos. when I was explaining that i couldn't do certain activities safely or reliably the examiner actually said to me " are those your favourite words ? " from that point on it was more like a battle than an assessment, when I explained that I keep myself obsessively clean  she said " you keep yourself obsessively clean but dont shave ? "  All this and quick fire questions one after the other with me protesting and complaining all the way through it .

when I was reading up about these medicals and preparing I thought that I might be spared by luck of the draw and get a decent examiner. How wrong could I be ! All that I can take away from this and be positive about is that at least I let the examiner and center manager know my feelings and that ive started an official complaint. The booklet they send saying they treat you with respect is laughable. 

Comments

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Options
    @ocdman, That's disgusting and my immediate reaction is to think that they have become so sure of their superior position over we far lesser mortals,, along with the backing they get from the company they work for, that they think they can do and say anything and get away with it. I'm glad you have complained but need to warn you my complaint to ATOS was made in early February and it's still not resolved neither do I get any updates as per their complaints procedure. They are a law unto themselves and it'll only be brought into the open when someone is brave enough and rich enough to take legal action against an assessor.   
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh @ocdman I am so sorry you have had such a negative experience :( 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • ocdman
    Options
    When I retaliated I could see that she was taken aback so I think what you say wildlife about them thinking they are above us mere mortals is correct . It definitely came across that way. That was the basis of my complaint. I thought that I shouldn't go into the actual specifics of my disabilities in the complaint but instead, I complained about the way the assessment was handled. My hope is that - if it wasn't handled properly then the report is questionable. Its pretty obvious really but lets see .......
  • wildlife
    Options
    @ocdman Unfortunately I got nowhere with complaining about the actual assessment. ATOS even rejected my 1st complaint with the excuse nothing that took place in the privacy of the room could be proved it was my word against the assessor's. They also won't accept my husband who was sat next to me throughout as an independent witness. I made another complaint focusing on the assessment report which can be proven as it's in writing. They accepted it but are just sitting on it. I'll ring again and see what's happening. they know we can't take it to the next level to ICE till they've completed their investigation. I've tried to get my assessor's governing body HCPC to deal with her for not being fit to practice. You might want to try this if it's a different organization for your assessor. it's hard to do all this as well as appealing the wrong decisions that result from the lies on their reports. Hope you have better luck then I did..  
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I wonder if assessors are getting stroppier because of all the complaints about them and all the successful appeals.  Surely, the Government have got to sack Atos soon, if Atos don't jump first?  After all, Atos jumped before the Government sacked them from doing ESA assessments.

@ocdman - phone PIP and ask for a copy of the assessor's report which will give you an indication of your likely award.
  • ocdman
    Options
    sorry for the late reply matilda but what confused me was the booklet from ATOS says that I must wait for the decision from the DWP before asking for the assessors report. So ive been frantically searching posts on various sites . I saw a post you made a few months back and a benefits advisor said you were right and its possible to ask for the report at any stage. dogmaster on another post I made said also to ask for the report to keep ahead of the game in case I need to ask for a manditory reconsideration . But definately on ATOS website it says MUST wait on the DWP decision letter before asking for the report. Various posts on disability sites say that the DWP are using this method as a delaying tactic making it harder to ask for a reconsidersation if you dont have the report beforehand. Ive also found out that if its the case of having no assessors report (say its a refusal and at the phone call asking for a manditory reconsideration I ask for the report but they dont send it ) its possible to carry on with the manditory reconsideration and lodge it ,and say I will send further information once I receive the assessors report. And the DWP should alow this . Perhaps the DWP are now using this tactic ? 
  • wildlife
    Options
    @ocdman Yes it does say on the ATOS website that you have to wait for the assessor's report till your decision arrives but it also says a lot of other untruths like being treated with respect and your assessment will be carried out in an honest and professional manner. Those of us who've been through the PIP process mostly disregard anything ATOS say. The assessor's report is filled in straight away after your assessment and is then sent to DWP, so it's not up to ATOS when you can have a copy. But DWP don't send it out automatically you have to ring them and ask for a copy to be sent to you. As the reports are often full of discrepancies it's important to have it and be able to study it before you do the Mandatory Reconsideration. There are no Health Professionals at DWP so the word of the assessor is accepted by the Decision makers when they make their award to you so you do need to "get in first" with all that you disagree with on your report in order to have the best chance of a successful outcome. I am aware you may still have a good report and be offered an award you're happy with but it doesn't happen very often..       
  • ocdman
    Options
    I know what you say is correct wildlife ill need to build up some courage I think. I live alone no support network , I  really value all the posts , ill see how I feel tomorrow .

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.