Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

Carers Allowance

franciscodelamfranciscodelam Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi. I am the father of a disabled boy. He is 4 and gets DLA since this month. My partner and I are learning about all the support we can get, and we find the Carers Allowance. I wonder if I can claim that as I am a carer for him, and earn less than 116 a week, but she earns more than that. 
I am unsure about all the situation and I won't want to jeopardize the DLA with another claim. 

Please, if someone can advise, It will be very appreciated. 

thanks

Francisco 

Replies

• Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Member Posts: 7,732 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @franciscodelam

I have moved your post to the benefits advisor category to get some pro advice, I had a look at the gov website and they said:

You might be able to get Carer’s Allowance if all of the following apply:
    • you’re 16 or over
    • you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
    • you’ve been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this doesn’t apply if you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection status)
    • you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
    • you’re not in full-time education
    • you’re not studying for 21 hours a week or more
    • you earn no more than £116 a week after tax and some expenses - these will be assessed when you apply
    It doesnt mention your household income, but let's see what the @BenefitsTrainingCo
    say :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering

Hi @franciscodelam

The criteria Sam has pasted above are correct. Carer's Allowance is not an income-based benefit (other than the earnings threshold) and therefore your partner's income does not preclude you from claiming.

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.