If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Weight loss with asthma

SystemSystem Posts: 346 Scope community team

Replies

• Sophiesmum2002Sophiesmum2002 Posts: 21Member Listener
    Hiya kirsten, 
    I have been struggling to lose weight since having my daughter over 14 years ago. I have asked my doctor for help, but they won't and I kniw that I'm overweight for my height (I'm only 5'1. I am actually small for my age as I'm 34). I have tried to lose weight in the past. The lowest I've been is 12st 5lb, but due to me having postnatal depression I've put the weight back on again.
    I was wondering what you would suggest is the best and safest way for me to lose weight as I have asthma which also restricts what I can do exercise wise.
  • KirstenNutritionAdvisorKirstenNutritionAdvisor Posts: 53Member Courageous
    Hello!!
    The first thing I would focus on is eating regularly! 
    Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack then dinner!
    too often when we try and diet we restrict our eating then binge.
    establishing good regular eating patterns helps our body in many ways. After a few weeks of eating like this you will probably not need the snacks.

focus on foods that you make yourself instead of packet foods.
    an example of this would be 
    scrambled egg with tomatoes and spinach and a slice of wholemeal toast. 
    Then a snack of a natural yogurt
    lunch grilled chicken with a large salad and a two small boiled new potatoes 
    snack and apple and 10 almonds
    dinner a cup of boiled rice with cooked vegetables and fish. 

Focus on eating good foodsa that nourish you as opposed to losinng weight. Swap your focus to gaining better Health not losing weight.
    give yourself two meals a week where you don't worry about this, gradually your taste buds will change and you will probably find you don't crave the foods you once used to eat.

also weight loss isn't just about dieting, it's important to think about what you are feeding your mind and by that I mean becoming conscious of the thoughts you think.
    do you tell yourself you can't lose weight? You'll never be slim? Or do you believe you can do it? Do you tell yourself that every day and every way your taking small steps focusing on improving your health.

In Regards to your asthma it's extremely possible to lose weight without exercise at all however for over all health exercising is very benifical and exercising can help you reach your health goals faster. 

Start where you are with what you have and set small goals along the way. Walk for 5 minutes three times a day is a great place to start if you can't walk for 5 minutes walk for two or whatever you can manage.

focus on what you can do and you will soon start to see positive results!

you can do it!! 

Keep us us updated on your progress we are all rooting for you.
    xx
  • janisanpoppyjanisanpoppy Posts: 8Member Listener
    Truely Truely need advise. I've always had bulging discs and mental issues as in PTSD and depression. However last year I was given 25 courses of antibiotics in an 11mnth period seriously. This had left me with autoimmune chronic Asthma a hole going thru my nose. And vascular eczema plus my leg swells to twice the size. Wen I say chronic Asthma I daily struggle to breathe. To me that is more than asthma. I have no faith in the doc ones now trying to palm me off with more drugs, I've researched Probiotics and prebiotics as I rwally need to be able to breathe and leave the house I have zero qusulity of life please help thank u
Sign in or join us to comment.