If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

National austitic society assessment

Hi
has anyone had a assessment done bye the national autistic society for their service and what does it involved please ? As I have my assessment with national autistic society on Tuesday 8th August which is hour long with them at home. 

Replies

• DannyMooreDannyMoore Posts: 634Member Chatterbox
    Hi @Joannadaviesd0,

Since you've already been diagnosed with autism they may be assessing your work capability, asking you questions to see if they can provide you support? The assessment is probably to gather more information about how autism has affected you. If they find out enough they may be able to know what support you need and provide it for you.

You wrote on your other post the doctors are refusing, at least progress is starting to be made. If they give you too much language to process at once don't be afraid to ask them to slow down and give you more time.
    Don't Fear Your True Self
  • Joannadaviesd0Joannadaviesd0 Posts: 6Member Listener
    It is for service with the national autistic society which they run and their outreach service and support worker too
    @Joannadaviesd0,

since they're bringing a support worker it's most likely to find out what help and support you need. After the assessment you may have a support worker to turn to when you need help with something. If you ever get an appointment or interview you can contact the support worker and he/she'll rearrange it to a time they can attend with you if you don't want to go alone. They'll help you with as many other things as they can, I had a support worker several years ago before I had to leave the Young People's Support Service (YPSS). The man was very nice, supportive and helpful.

• jogeorge16jogeorge16 Posts: 1Member Listener
    Hello,
    im very new here and need some help. My brother was diagnosed with ASD on his 30th birthday.  We always suspected he was a little bit different but did not think he would not be able to cope living away from mum and dad.  He is the kindest person I know, he can drive and solve complex maths equations but lacks a lot of social skills and understanding.  He also has really bad OCD. He only managed to live away for a year and got into a lot of trouble. We managed to get him some housing and he has lived on his own for 1.5 years now but this has had lots of problems.
    the council refuse to assess him.  It is all new to us and I was wondering if the NAS will assess, will the council accept their assessment and how much it costs for this ? All helpful pointers will be welcome. 
    Hi @jogeorge16,

All of us with autism have being affected variously, what we all have in common are social deficits, so it's not surprising he has social difficulties. A lot of people with autism I've seen on documentaries say they have OCDs, I can get obsessed with things sometimes but it's not the same as having an OCD.

Most children with autism develop a black and white way of seeing things, since he didn't get help as a child he probably has a difficulty seeing the grey area as I did. If you mean he's overreacting to things when you say there's lots of problems he's most likely still in the black and white world, so he either get's extremely anxious or extremely calm. It's one or the other, never a bit of both. So you could try and help him see the grey area in between.

Individuals with autism can be extremely uncomfortable when something changes. If he didn't want to move away he probably wasn't able to cope with the changes. If he is still in the black and white world he would of got extremely anxious about the changes instead of just a little anxious. Some people with autism befriend people from another age group rather than people their own age, so as well as viewing your mum and dad as parents he may be viewing them as his friends as well. The social issues can make it hard to make friends, with autism being a hidden disability people just make judgements, they don't know it's because of a disability.

If he finds maths interesting it's no surprise he's good at it. People on the autism spectrum have obsessive field(s) of interest and the ability to hyper-focus. Say if someone on the spectrum was interested in music composition they could tell you everything about music composition without being mistaken about anything. Doctors suspect that people who became one of the worlds greatest at something had an autism spectrum disorder, like Einstein. The reason they can't be certain is because during their lives autism wasn't yet discovered.

It's usual for someone with autism to have the difficulties and issues your brother's having.

Sign in or join us to comment.