What is the format for an oral tribunal? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What is the format for an oral tribunal?

DavidV
DavidV Community member Posts: 1 Listener
New on here. Having a look round to see what questions have been asked, and replies given. Have an appeal tribunal tomorrow, and looking to see what the format is for an oral tribunal.  

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @DavidV.

Abig welcome to you to our online website/community I do hope that we can help you further ?????

Please please have a good look around our home page where you will find a lot of info.

There is also a Benefits Advisor which will help you greatly 

Good Luck 
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @DavidV,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you here.

There's plenty of groups and discussions which you can get involved with, whether it be to ask for some help and support, or just to chat with other members of our community. 

Citizens Advice have a useful page on their website all about what you can expect at a tribunal, which may be of interest to you.

I hope this helps, and best of luck with the tribunal today. Do let us know how it goes!
    Liam
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @DavidV

At my Tribunal the judge started by asking how my health had been over the past year. I understand that some Tribunals ask the appellant how they traveled to the centre. Not advisable to drive yourself - take a taxi if necessary.

Then I was grilled by the members for 30 minutes at the end of which the judge asked me to go back to the waiting room for 20 minutes while they made their decision. I was awarded enhanced both components indefinitely.  Some Tribunals are running late so they send you their decision a couple of days later.

Below are the thoughts I posted right after the hearing.
  • Matilda
    Have to post later as can't copy and paste on my phone.
  • Matilda
    Have your wits about you and be prepared for a grilling; and have thorough medical evidence even if it's not recent.

The only medical evidence I had was the DWP doctor's report and my GP's report from 1998 (both very thorough) when I was awarded DLA highest rates both components indefinitely.

The other two tribunal members weren't too bad - but the doctor asked some probing questions.  Asked for how long I could walk (time).  The Atos assessor asked that, too.  Although of course PIP points are supposed to be awarded for distance, not time (or so I thought).

Doc also asked how did I know I could only walk 20 yards?  Had I ever measured it?  I replied no, it was an estimate based on experience of distances.

The judge, doctor (as well as the Atos assessor) all seemed to think that ability to drive indicates a low level of disability.  Which is nonsense.  What's the point of Motability, then?  And many disabled people would be housebound without a car.  

I only take two, maybe three, round trips of 12 miles or less a week; I find driving long distances tiring.  I wouldn't advise any claimant to state that they do a lot of driving, especially longer distances.

Read more at https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/33823/pip-tribunal-decision#Aw6EWWoBaHxsY16Y.99

The Tribunal's Decision Letter stated:

"In reaching its Decision the Tribunal placed particular reliance upon the evidence of [Matilda] who gave the Tribunal cogent oral evidence today.  This was consistent with the medical evidence..."

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.