Why can't I tell them about my illness before the PIP assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why can't I tell them about my illness before the PIP assessment?

jjenk1010
jjenk1010 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I had a assessment for pip and was turned down so I appealed the decision. I went to the pip appeals tribunal. At first thing's were going good but every thing changed when I tried to answer how I got all my illness. The medical person ( of some 28 years ) stopped me and told me I could only tell them about my illness from the date I had pip assessment  and up to the date I have the tribunal.  " which was now cos I was at tribunal ". So I could only tell them about my illnesses from 8th DECEMBER to 7/2/2017 my tribunal. Which I am at. The tribunal was ajzzz after two and a half hours cos they said they were confused, confused I was totally confused. They needed to see my medical records to see what treatment I was getting.  I don't understand how I can not tell them about my illnesses 
befor pip assessment cos it's befor the assessment I got the illnesses. I have just got new date for my second tribunal it's on Not locking forward to it. The first tribunal was wearsttt than the pip assessment was. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can anyone give me some advice on why I can't tell them about my illnesses befor my pip assessment date. I FIND THIS VERY VERY CONFUSING TOO SAY THE LEAST. Well thank you for listening to my rant I think everyone knows how it is. Thanks very much....

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @jjenk1010,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've been having with PIP - it sure sounds like a stressful time for you.

I've moved your post into our Ask a Benefits Advisor category, where @BenefitsTrainingCo may be able to advise.

If you have any other questions, then please do get in touch!
    Liam
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    @Debbie_Scope  can you offer any thoughts?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    Hello @jjenk1010 ,

The purpose of the hearing is to review the decision made by the DWP and nothing else.
    If the evidence you are providing was not part of the original decision then they cannot consider it.

That said, PIP is not related to any underlying condition or cause. If you are relating only the same disabilities that you did to the DWP then they must listen to that.

They sound as though they have confused themselves and lost track. They must judge the decision made relating to your disabilities. Everything else is just proof that your evidence was the truth.

You could highlight this to them. Don't get too focussed on your illnesses or treatments. They are not part of a PIP decision. Only your disabilities are.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    My Tribunal asked about my health over the past year - i.e. from about five months before assessment - which was relevant as DWP are supposed to consider claimant's health over the three months before their first decision. 

What your Tribunal doc said sounds odd. Perhaps he or she is new to PIP Tribunals.

Assessors and Tribunals do take into account medical conditions that are known to cause disabilities - both of mine did.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi jjenk1010,

The tribunal can only consider your health problems and effects on your daily living and mobility up to the date of the DWP's decision. Anything that has got better or worse since cannot be used to form part of the decision, but anything BEFORE the date of the decision is completely relevant unless that particular illness is no longer affecting you, and you should be allowed to give evidence on it. Good luck!

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.