Fibromyalgia — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fibromyalgia

Jaime76
Jaime76 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, newbie here. I was diagnosed with fibromialga last November. Ive been a chronic pain sufferer for about 7 years. Medication includes 1200mg 3 times a day, 50ml amytriptalline,  250mg of venlafaxine twice a day, 100mg naproxen and various others.
I'm a single mum of 2. Both of which are young carers 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2017
    Hi @Jaime76.

It's great to see you here on our website/online community.

I do hope that we can help you, if you go to our home page you will find lot's off info on chronic pain.

We have also got a chronic pain group which will be idea for you as you can meet & greet other chronic pain suffers.

Please let me know if you want any more help ?????

I have also got chronic pain so please let me know if I can help you ????

• Barrylad1957
    Barrylad1957 Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    edited August 2017
    Hello Jaime76,
    I'm also a recently diagnosed fibro sufferer, last November 20th after 2 years of chronic pain and analgaesic pain killers that didnt work. I'm on 60mg amitrityline, 500mg naproxen x 2 daily, and (zapain, for what my GP calls "background pain" 2x4 times a day???). I hope you've found some relief, the amitriptyline was heaven sent for me.
  • timoglock
    timoglock Community member Posts: 23 Courageous
    Hi I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue, chronic pain and fibromyalgia autism and allergies before finally putting all the pieces together and getting diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos syndromes which is associated with all the above. 
  • kit
    kit Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    Hi I also suffer really badly with fibromyalgia pernicious anaemia osteoporosis and arthritis along with reynard phenomenon and angina. Looking at me you can't see them but believe me they are all there. The buldging disc in my spine sometimes make me walk bent over. The chronic pain I get is that bad that I am now on Zomorph 30mg Zomorph10mg and oral morphine along with all my other medication for my other ailments. People have no idea how we suffer in silence unless they have the same condition the invisible conditions we have does NOT  mean that we do not suffer. All I have and I am still having trouble with my pip entitlement . Good luck to all and hope yous are not suffering to much today. xx
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    edited November 2017
    Chronic pain is difficult to control correctly as it has various causes and various types depending on what started it. Make sure when you take medication you understand what does what and read the notes supplied but not the side effects list or you will be constantly looking for them to appear. If you do get an odd reaction that is the time to look at the list.

An important point is that if you are on Ibruprofen or Naproxen, these are NSAID's (Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory medications) and can damage the stomach lining if you take them every day. Check that you are on Omeprazol or similar to protect the stomach or discuss with the GP.

@Barrylad1957 , Zapain is Paracetamol and Codeine so do not take extra Paracetamol for headaches and other minor ailments such as Cold & Flu Remedies. The Paracetamol is 500mg per tablet and the Codeine (which is more effective) will be either 30mg or 50mg. Keep your fingers crossed you don't need the stronger medications.

Amitryptylene has 2 purposes. It is a mild anti-depressant and it is also effective against neurological pain. There are 4 or 5 alternatives if you have any issues with it.

@Jaime76 , the Venlaxafine is an anti-depressant of the SNRI class. You don't say what the 1200mg is so can't help there.

@kit , Zomorph is a Morphine Sulphate medication similar to Tramadol just a weaker dosage per tablet. It comes in 10mg, 30mh, 60mg, 100mg & 200mg doses. Oral morphine (Oramorph) is a diluted Morphine medication similar to but weaker than the Morphine injections given in hospital emergency rooms.

It is important to know what you are being treated with and for so that if the situation changes you can understand what the doctor is trying to sachieve. Keep in mind that by taking so many medications there is also the possibility of drug interaction. This sort of issue can have odd side effects and/or weaker or stronger responses to existing medication.

Most forms of Chronic Pain do not have a cure or resolution unless surgery is involved. It becomes a question of managing the pain to enable you to continue to function. You will also, most likely, suffer Flare Ups or Breakthrough pain at intervals. If you don't get this be grateful and keep fingers crossed that it doesn't start up. It is very common and if it becomes an issue discuss it with your doctor and ask for some ad-hoc medication to be taken ONLY when the Flare Up occurs.

Persistent or Chronic Pain can usually allow you entry into what is called the Pain Clinic in the UK. They will not only help with medication they will also let you attend courses to teach you things like Pacing and other topics. Not every topic is useful to everyone except perhaps Pacing which is probably the most useful of all.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Barrylad1957
    Barrylad1957 Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    @Topkitten
    Thank you, mate. Sorry it took a while to respond, I've been 'off-grid' for a bit. (Off-planet, if the truth be known). Hope you are aswell as you can possibly be.
    Baz

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.