Did i make a mistake on my PIP for - correcting at Face2Face — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Did i make a mistake on my PIP for - correcting at Face2Face

greenranger
greenranger Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hello,

I have looked back at my PIP form and also my award letter.

My PIP form I didn't show the contrast between a good day and bad day, I just completed it for the help I need on bad days as this is most of the time. I never broke it down for the help on worse/bad/alright.

For example at the moving around questions
  • 85% of the time my mobility is less than 20 meters, due to pain, fatigue it causes, and it stops from other tasks.
  • after work, 95% of my time is spent in bed
At the face2face I did explain variation better and coping mechanisms.

I have the award of enhanced for both and it in the comments section it does say
  • as your needs varymy decision is based on the help you need most days
Is this ok or do I need to inform them?

Thanks

Comments

• greenranger
    Forgot to say my PIP form was backed with my medical hisotry and reports from consultants.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    You have been honest with the assessor so no need to worry. they are trained to see how things affect you and for once you have had an assessor that is competant. Just relax and enjoy life as best you can.
    How long is your award for ?
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    @greenranger NO you don't need to inform them of anything. You've got the higher rate in both sections and your condition hasn't changed then you don't need to do anything. If you contact them again they might say it's a supersession which  is when your condition HAS changed and you would be at risk of losing what you've got.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @greenranger

Your assessment and award are correct.  Your 'bad', i.e. qualifying days are more than 50%.

• greenranger
    Hello, thanks for the super quick responses.

Reading it back am being a bit silly - clearly by the DWP stating "needs vary" it shows they understand from my PIP form and face2face that they understand my needs can fluctuate.

By DWP saying "most days" they accept that I need help on over 50% of days.

DWP look at in its entirity all the forms and reports not just the PIP form which is only a starter for 10.

It is always a worry when the condition fluctuates and is invisible, we all have a different level of coping mechanisms and push ourselves far too much to get some quality of life.
    Plus I hide and deny my disability as much as possible, going through the process has just put my mind in an ugly place.

I need to accept DWP understand my condition, how it varies and they have given me scores for the help that I need - not the help I get/take.
    As completing a activity/descriptor is not evidence of ability or reliability.

Thanks
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @greenranger You are very fortunate to have had your claim dealt with properly. You certainly have more faith in DWP than I have. But then it's down to whatever your experience has been. Good Luck in the future. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    It is great to hear a story with a positive outcome. Thank you so much for posting and I hope it gives others a little more trust in the system. We are so used to hearing bad experiances but there must be many more with the right award that never come to forums
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    greenrangergreenranger,

Matilda is correct - as your bad days are far more than 50%, you have answered the questions accurately for the purposes of the PIP descriptors. I don't think you need to worry about this at all.

Whilst you're right that the form is only one of the things the DWP look at, in most cases they rely very heavily on the assessor's report (and unfortunately, less on your own evidence or even medical evidence you provide). It sounds as though you don't have your decision yet, but I hope when it comes it does show that the DWP have looked at everything comprehensively. It would be very unusual for the DWP to understand a claimant's condition I'm afraid! But that doesn't mean they can't come to the right conclusion. It's also possible that you had one of the better assessors, who perhaps had previous experience of the condition.

Good luck.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• greenranger
    Thanks Will,
    I got enhanced for both elements awarded for 5 years.

I just worry as most days I am affected by my conditions so answer the questions on that basis. 

I read reports of PIP fraud because people don't talk about the good days.

Am not running a marathon any time soon but I do enjoy

- a little night out and dance with friends,
    - the odd holiday
    - manage to walk around the shopping centre once a week.

Don't  want DWP pulling me before a judge saying you never said this in your form; taken it off me and feeling like a criminal.

Friends and family do say its a good day for you but it be a bad day for non-disabled.

Asessor was fully aware of arthritis and other conditions which was great. 

Thanks
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Greenranger

It is great to hear that PIP has been awarded.  As the above posts state it is about what you can do for the majority of time. 

You have not detailed what (if any) other benefits you currently receive, as sometimes getting enhanced awards of PIP can increase entitlement to other benefits e.g. ESA.  

There are sites that can help calculate benefit entitlement, and the below link gives further links to turn2us and entitledto.
    http://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Maria
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.