Co habiting — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Co habiting

jane436
jane436 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Would like my boyfriend of 10 months to move in. I'm a carer of my son who is on the spectrum. My boyfriend is currently on ESA due to high blood pressure. How will my benefits be affected?

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello jane436

Once partners live together then they have to claim benefits as  a couple.  

This means you will have to notify all benefit agencies e.g. Child Benefit, Child Tax Credit, Housing Benefit, Income Support, JSA, Universal Credit, ESA that your boyfriend is living with you.  

You have not mentioned if you receive benefits for yourself, and it maybe that your benefit stops and you claim ESA as a couple or your boyfriend stops claiming ESA and joins your benefit claim.  In addition, any Housing Benefit entitlement maybe suspended whilst your benefit claims are being resolved. 

You also mentioned that your son is on the spectrum. Does he receive Disability Living Allowance (DLA)? If he does, DLA will not be effected if your boyfriend moves in. 

The below link, give links to enttledto and Turn2us that can help check benefit entitlement.
    http://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

You could also go to a local advice centre if you need face to face advice and help.

Kind regards

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.