If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

Pension credit and severe disability allowance.

LorelieLorelie Posts: 2Member Listener
Hi Simon.. I hope you're well. I'm new to Scope and have been trying to get used to finding my way around the community.
I've been told because I've no carer that I can put in for Severe Disability Allowance that would be added to my Pension Credit (I'm in receipt of government pension with PC. I'm 64) If I did get the SA allowance added, would it affect my housing benefit and council tax benefit? I will be getting pip (standard) and mobility at £22 at the end of September.

Replies

• LiamO_DellLiamO_Dell Posts: 1,114Member Pioneering
    Hi @Lorelie,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

I've moved this post into our Ask a Benefits Advisor category, as I think they may be best placed to answer this for you.

@BenefitsTrainingCo, can you help?
    Liam
  • LorelieLorelie Posts: 2Member Listener
    Thank you @LiamO_Dell I appreciate that.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 2,687Member Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    Hi @Lorelie

To receive the Severe Disability Premium on your Pension Credit you [email protected]
    (1) and award of PIP Daily Living (which you have)
    (2) no carer (which you have)
    (3) no other adult in the house, unless they are also in receipt of PIP or DLA.

If you are entitled, then it won't cause other benefits to go down, and in in some cases and result in them increasing.

To get it added, call the Pensions Service on the number on your Pension Credit letter, or perhaps your local Age UK or council office can help you.

Hope this helps - do let us know if we can be of any further assistance!

Kind regards,

Mary
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • BillijoBillijo Posts: 7Member Listener
    Hi, my ESA has gone down from last September. I was getting DLA but when they changed it to PIP and I had to go for an assessment in January about my back problems. But I never included my mental health problems on the form as They already knew about it on my previous forms. I won my appeal on the 8th of August, but now they are appealing against it. The woman from DWP said I was in a support group. But I think they have stopped my severe disability premium. Please can someone explain to me what it means. Regards.
  • lindaloo56lindaloo56 Posts: 1Member Listener
    Hi what is pension credit 
    Hi Billijo,

Mary has explained above what the criteria is for Severe Disability Premium. The only way of finding out whether you get it or not is to check your latest entitlement notice as the premiums are broken down, or you could give them a call, or visit your local advice centre. The SDP is currently £62.45 and it will clearly show on your entitlement letter if you receive it.

Lee
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
    Hi lindaloo56, 

Pension Credit is a means-tested top up to a low income for a pensioner. It ensures that pensioners are at least receiving the minimum amount that the government says they need to live on as it tops up their income to the minimum level. 
    The current amounts are £159.35 for a single person and £243.25 for a couple, although it can be higher for pensioners with disability benefits.

Lee
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • BillijoBillijo Posts: 7Member Listener
    Hi I'm not on pension credit, as I'm not that age for it. I've got a long way to go before I get it. Regards.
    Billijo,

No, you don't need to be on Pension Credit for the severe disability premium to be relevant. It's also included in income-related ESA. If your ESA has gone down, then that could be because the premium isn't included in your calculation any more.

To get the premium, you would need to meet the conditions my colleague Mary lists above, including getting the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment. If you're not getting that at all (which is possible if you were appealing against a decision which didn't award you any PIP daily living, and the DWP have appealed against your appeal decision), then you won't get the premium.

As Lee says, I would look at your most recent ESA award notice to see if there's an amount of £62.45 in the calculation. If not, then it looks like you are not getting the SDP. You would need PIP daily living to be awarded before you can get it back.

Unfortunately the DWP are allowed to suspend payment of your benefit whilst they are appealing a decision which awards you the benefit, as long as they have informed you that they are appealing.

Because the DWP can only appeal on a point of law, it's a good idea to get locally-based advice to help you with the next stage. If their appeal is heard, it will be at the Upper Tribunal. You might be able to get advice from a local Citizens Advice Bureau or a specific disability charity.

Will
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.