Relationships — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Relationships

Options
Ellie1992
Ellie1992 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Ive just split up with my partner of 2 years and im still in our bed with him i just need some advice really

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Ellie1992,

I've moved your post into our Ask a Sex and Relationships Expert category, where our advisor may be able to offer support.

@PSHEexpert, can you help?
    Liam
  • PSHEexpert
    PSHEexpert Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Ellie!  That's a really difficult situation to be in, and I'm sorry you've found yourself in it.

I'm guessing from your post that for now you're stuck living together, which is really hard - I've been there too and it can feel very frustrating when things are all very raw.  I am sure this will sound like a silly question, and it's not meant to, but is there any way at all that you could negotiate sleeping separately while you get your head around the split and adjust to things a bit? Whether that's one of you moving into another room (I don't know your physical situations of course and that might not be an option), or maybe staying with a friend or a family member for a couple of nights to give yourself a bit of headspace?

The headspace is the important bit at the moment, even more than the physical. You don't mention whether either of you initiated the split but regardless of that it's a big change for everyone involved, and you need space to think about what's best for you and the next steps you want to take.

I also don't know if you have anyone you can talk to about things but I'm going to share this page from Relate, the relationship counselling organisation, which addresses lots of aspects of splitting up and how to negotiate and manage things when you're ready, which may have something that is useful on a practical level: https://www.relate.org.uk/relationship-help/help-separation-and-divorce - I have found Relate to be very supportive, although everyone is different.

Finally, thank you for posting - it can be really hard when you're in the middle of things like this to be able to ask for help or a listening ear.  If that wasn't helpful (or didn't address the right things), please be reassured we are all here and still listening - don't feel stuck alone in the middle of things.  
    - Gill 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.