Help needed - lost PIP after heart op — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help needed - lost PIP after heart op

Hayward
Hayward Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited August 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
After a car accident I was awarded PIP but lost it two days after a heart attack and two heart operations, being diagnosed with heat disease and atrial fibrillation which still a problem even though I am on a large course of treatment. Even though I have a letter from my doctor stating that I am unfit for work, the DWP will not except it until my tribunal is due in 23 weeks time.

In the meantime I am unable to go to appointments for my heart condition or any other therapy as I do not have the funds to do so. Is there anything I can do to make the DWP listen and except the word of a doctor or do they think that the doctor is lying, if thats the case I will have to contact my doctor and tell them their expertise and many years of study as a practitioner is worthless?
Louis

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Hayward
    Welcome to our online community I do hope that we can help you.
    I am very sorry to hear about your current situation.
    Can you please pop over to our home page as you will find lots off info.
    We have also got a Benefit Advisor ready and waiting to help out.
    I do hope that this is helpful ????
  • Hayward
    Thanks will have a look
    Louis
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Hayward this is terrible to hear, I am so sorry.

I have moved your post to the ask a benefits advisor category 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you applied for an HC2 cerificate ?. This can help with some of the costs of NHS services including travel to appointments in certain cases.
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Hayward,

I think you have two separate posts on this query as I have given some advice on another thread about this.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Hayward
    After waiting some 9 months for a tribunal date I received a letter saying a date has been set for 11th April at Aldershot which I thought at last. A week later a received a phone call from Cardiff saying that the date of 11th April has been cancelled as the person who is dealing with my case is unwell so another date will be set sometime in the next couple of months. I have a doctors letter to say I am unwell, heart disease, difficulty getting about, life changing injuries from a previous car accident (mentioned earlier) and my mental illness has become quite severe over the past few months with waiting, maybe its part of the policy to drag it out in the hope the claimant will be dead!!

This is an absolute nightmare for me, it seems they really don't give a damn, I am at an all time low with this recent devastating news and I can't do anything about it, do I have rights? is there a Charter I can quote for the extremely poor treatment they have given me, there must be some rules and regulations or do they just treat people as they please. Its TOTAL injustice....is there a law? if someone can point me towards anybody who can help me on the legalities of this mess I have been placed in?

Thanks

Louis Hayward 
    Louis
  • Deb57
    Deb57 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Hi, Is this for a PIP Tribunal? You may be able to apply for ESA. You can certainly make   a formal complaint to the  DWP. I, would suggest you go back and see your  GP. And perhaps ask for  a referral to mental health services. As well, as some immediate  help. Perhaps, in the form  of some medication to help you now. If, you are already on medication, you need a review.
  • Deb57
    I've tried to upload a file for you, but the site won't let me. Just  do  a search for:  complain to the  DWP
  • Hayward
    Thanks Deb57, I'm already on citalopram and other medication for my heart such as rampril, clopidrogrel and others. My PIP ended on the 25th April 2017, I had my heart attack on the 2nd May 2017 and a further procedure (stint) on 22nd May 2017 and a doctors letter addressed to the DWP on the 14th July 2017 stating I was too unwell but it has been totally ignored. Maybe the BMC should get involved?

kind regards

Louis
    Louis
  • Deb57
    The BMC can only deal  with medical complaints. Did  you photo copy the  letter the Dr. wrote. I'm glad you are getting help, but you can still ask for a review, if you need help
  • sleepy1
    sleepy1 Community member Posts: 297 Pioneering
    Tell them your experience.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmworpen/829/829.pdf 

All correspondence should be addressed to the Clerk of the Work and Pensions Committee, House of Commons, London SW1A 0AA. The telephone number for general enquiries is 020 7219 8976; the Committee’s email address is workpencom@parliament.uk.
  • Hayward
    Thank you everyone for the advice and information, I have a CAB meeting on Tuesday for further advice. It seems at the moment I am being held in perpetuity:

'An optional statutory period of up to 80 years, under the Perpetuities and Accumulations Act 1964. The common law period, which is the lifetime of the last to die of certain individuals alive when the interest is created (known as "lives in being" or "measuring lives") plus 21 years'.

Quoting from the link given by sleepy1 -  
    House of Commons Work and Pensions Committee PIP and ESA assessments Seventh Report of Session 2017–19 mention:

"Most claimants proceed through their PIP and ESA assessments without significant problems, but a sizable minority do not. Since 2013, 290,000 claimants of PIP and ESA— 6% of all those assessed—only received the correct award after challenging DWP’s initial decision. Those cases, set alongside other recurring problems with applications and assessments, have ramifications far beyond the minority of claimants directly affected. Applying for PIP or ESA—and in doing so, facing up to the full limitations imposed by a health condition—can be stressful and challenging. A deficit of confidence in the assessment processes adds considerably to claimants’ distress"

Kind regards and thank you for all your comments

Louis

Louis

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.