Planning and organising the fridge and freezer — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Planning and organising the fridge and freezer

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
Hello everybody I would just like if I can talk about  planning and organising the fridge and freezer.  Some useful tips that can help those who like myself have really bad days of depression and anxiety.  I know I am not alone in this.  I live alone but with support from a mental health charity.  Priority is to plan and organise myself each week especially food.  One of the things I have learnt is to shop carefully and always make a list of food you could easily prepare.  I also have a disability of the hands have fingers missing.  So I can not use knives very well.  Try to look at a food processors and things like blenders, slow cookers.  There is plenty of advice on line.  Invest in a good freezer I have a frost free one which means I do not have to defrost it every time. Create a folder with a stocklist of food items that you already have.  Just like the supermarkets do and any food retail outlet.  Time saver and money might already have items enough for a weeks meals.  Use this folder for recipes things you like .  Remember loads on web or make something up.  Use zip bags for sauces, soups and recipes like Chilli, Bolognese all freeze well.  Being the spiceman have a small stock of spices and condiments to flavour food.  Many supermarkets have specific spice blends for every type of cuisine.  Lastly fresh herbs chop up in olive oil and freeze in ice cube trays.  When frozen remove into zip bags and label.  Hope any of this helps anybody.
Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    HI @thespiceman thanks for this, I would say that meal planning is a great thing to do.  It can save money and time.

My slow cooker is brilliant and I like looking on pinterest for slow cooker recipes.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for kind words.  I will now and again give any more kitchen tips which I have found useful.  I have started to do this because not only is it helpful to our community and people like our selves but cooking ones self a meal that is home cooked is not only beneficial for you own well being.  Also you know what is in it.  I have friends who are like myself and I do take the time to show them in their homes what can be done.  Using a few simple techniques and simple recipes.  I am not telling them what to do but just gentle persuasion and advising them that budgeting meal times is the start.  I had recently met a couple who buy in jars pasta sauce .  We have all done this.  Seeing me at the local supermarket buying the ingredients for pasta sauce.  Asked for a recipe.  Got hold of scrap paper wrote it down.  They were first sceptical coming from a disabled gentleman.  I explained cost difference.  That soon changed their mind.  So I hope any body out there realises making own sauces and soups and meals is cost effective.  I tend to start to make a large batch of sauces and soups and meals on Sunday having Classic FM on helps.  Hope to speak to all soon to anybody who has any tips they have
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.