Being asked to work all weekend despite having an autistic 4 year old — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Being asked to work all weekend despite having an autistic 4 year old

nadie
nadie Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hey i am new to this. I have two sons 2 and 4 years old! My 4 year old who starts school in September was diagnosed with autism two years ago. I work at present on Tuesday Saturday and Sunday but no longer have childcare on Saturdays. My 4 year old will not stay with anyone else and the company are offering me to work alternative Saturdays rather than having them all off despite my childcare issues. My son will not be able to tolerate me working alternative Saturdays as it will disrupt his routine due to his autism. Has anyone had any experience of this and can anyone help?

Im not sure what the issue is because I would still be working every Sunday and I am flexible to work in the week.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sammy71
    sammy71 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Nadie,
    I have an 8yr old daughter who is autistic and hates her routine being changed. I work 6 days a week and only have a sunday off. Because my daughter who has been diagnosed since the age of 3 is now becoming more difficult and feel that i need to at least take 2 days off a week instead of 1. This has not been a problem with me and my company understand that my daughter is very demanding and the role is very tiring. They should allow you to work flexi hours as long as all your required hours are met which means you can work more during the week like you stated. Its so unfair when us working mums feel like we are being punished for having disabled children. Other than that register with an agency that way you can let them know your availiability so you can be there more for your child. I really hope you can find the soloution! Please let me know how you get on x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.