OPLL ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

OPLL ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament.

debbijane
debbijane Community member Posts: 9 Courageous
I have a condition called OPLL which means ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament. Before I had a fall in 2012 I was unaware of it, and had a full time job, was an member of 2 amateur dramatics Societies and a Pantomime Society, and also sang in my Church Worship team. When I fell, it forced bony spurs into my spinal cord. Despite a trip in an ambulance and agonising electric shock type pain, I was sent home and told it was whiplash. I wasn't diagnosed until mid August after I had all but demanded an MRI. At that point I was immediately admitted to neurosurgery for an operation to relieve pressure on my spinal cord. Sadly, because of the delay part of my spinal cord is atrophied. Five years on, I've had to accept a different lifestyle, but it's been hard having to admit I can no longer do the things I used to. One slip changed my life completely.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @debbijane welcome to the community - this sounds really tough.  I hope you enjoy chatting with other members here and getting involved with the community.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • dtnmrd
    dtnmrd Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi Debbie Jane, I have OPLL too. About 4 yrs ago I started getting numbness - weakness and tingling in my hands and feet. For about a year I thought it was just part of my RA and I would just have to deal with it. Then I talked to the right person who started my on a year long ordeal to get the OPLL diagnosed.  I was finally diagnosed 2 yrs ago. I had a fusion of C3-C7 last June. I used to do Tai Chi Zumba and Yoga on a weekly basis. I was active in my community. I was on the planning committee for Tucson's yearly walks for Alzheimers and Downs Syndrome. I volunteered yearly for the Susan B Coleman Breast cancer walk. All that has gone away.  I still have a full time job, but this is going to have to be my last school year. The pain-numbness-stiffness-tingling-weakness is just getting too bad. I struggle to survive my work day, get home try not to move until it's time to go to bed. Using a therapeutic dose of meds to enable me work is messing with my ability to think clearly. I am making more and more mistakes. Another food reason to give up and quit working. My biggest fear is making sure that I get approved for Disability the first time I apply. I can't afford to wait 1-2 yrs for the appeals process. Have you applied yet? Any advice on getting approved the first time?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.