If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

Will I still not be able to get carers allowance because my pension is over the threshold?

richardpprichardpp Posts: 2Member Listener
edited August 2017 in Carer's allowance
Hello. I used to get carers allowance but went over the pay limit when I took a p/t teaching post.
 In October I retire and really need to look after my disabled wife but my pension is only £140/week so may have to continue working to survive. My wife receives the higher rate disability.
Question is will I still not be able to get carers allowance because my pension is over the threshold?
Very worry time; my wife is 71 I am 65 next month.
Thanks Richard

Replies

• CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Posts: 5,256Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Richard and welcome

Have you tried entering your details into an online benefit calculator ?
    This will give you an indication of any benefits available

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • richardpprichardpp Posts: 2Member Listener
    Hello Cockney rebel. Yes I did that some time ago, I received it but because I did some work and told them they took it off me. Can't see the point of doing it again. Is pension a income/pay? That is the question. Richard
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Posts: 5,256Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Pension is counted as income
    Is your pension state or private ?
    have you looked at pension credit ?
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 2,687Member Pioneering
    Hi richardpp,

You cannot get a State Pension and Carer's Allowance at the same time as they are what they call overlapping benefits. You only get the one that is higher. However, applying for Carer's Allowance may help you to get Pension Credit or a reduction in your rent/council tax or it would really help if you put your income details into a benefits calculator to see whether you are entitled to anything else.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.