Chat with Paralympic hero Richard Whitehead today! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Chat with Paralympic hero Richard Whitehead today!

Sam_Alumni
Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger

We’re really excited to have World record holder, Paralympic gold and world champion athlete Richard Whitehead join us for Facebook LIVE today at 2pm.

We’d love for you to join us, as we talk about the impact and legacy of the Paralympics five years on from London 2012, why he thinks #SportForAll is so important, his career highlights, including his world record and 9 gold medals! 

In addition to this, we’d love for you to get involved by commenting and asking questions below and Richard will have some time today to log on to the community and also answer some of your questions on here too!

Sport For All aims to encourage better representation of disability in sport, as well as challenging attitudes towards disability.

You can expect new research, blogs, videos and social media events. These will showcase some of the best athletes and storytellers involved in disability sport today. Take a look at our blog about Sport For All here.

Ask your questions below and Richard will be along later to answer and chat with the community!

Scope
Senior online community officer

Comments

• coraeb
    coraeb Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi Richard! So excited you're at Scope! Can I ask two questions? 

What is your favourite memory of the paralympics in 2012? 

Also what would be the one thing you would change for disabled people in Britain in 2017? 
  • Vicky1987
    Vicky1987 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi Richard! How do you think we can further raise the profile of Paralympic sports in this country?
  • RichardWhitehead
    RichardWhitehead Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    coraeb said:
    Hi Richard! So excited you're at Scope! Can I ask two questions? 

What is your favourite memory of the paralympics in 2012? 

Also what would be the one thing you would change for disabled people in Britain in 2017? 
    Thanks for your questions Cora!

My favorite memory was in 2012 when I looked up in the crowd to see wave of British Union flags and so many families supporting me and British sport at the Paralympics.

The one thing I would change for disabled people in Britain today is to ensure that there is equal opportunities for everybody, regardless of disability, race, gender and so on, because everybody deserves everyday equality. 

• RichardWhitehead
    Vicky1987 said:
    Hi Richard! How do you think we can further raise the profile of Paralympic sports in this country?
    Great Question, thanks Vicky!

I think there should be more opportunities within mainstream sport for disabled athletes and we should use the athletes as role models to spread messages and encourage more opportunities. #SportForAll! 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @RichardWhitehead  thanks so much for being here! How would you encourage young, disabled people into sport?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi Richard! So great to have you at Scope.

How easy do you think it is for young disabled people to get into sport following the 2012 Paralympics? Are there any barriers still, and how big are they?
    Liam
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RichardWhitehead
    Sam_Scope said:
    Hi @RichardWhitehead  thanks so much for being here! How would you encourage young, disabled people into sport?
    Hi Sam,

Glad to be here and support #SportForAll! Thanks for the question.

I'd say, try as many different disability sports and activities as you can but also try opportunities that are provided where social and economic opportunities are already removed to help make it easier when starting out. 
  • RichardWhitehead
    Hi Richard! So great to have you at Scope.

How easy do you think it is for young disabled people to get into sport following the 2012 Paralympics? Are there any barriers still, and how big are they?

Hi Liam,

Interesting question!

Young people have now been provided with the inspiration to get into sport but there are still a lot of barriers and obstacles to overcome for them to access sport. Specifically... equipment, transport, access, training, coaches etc. many of these barriers are starting to be removed but we still need to talk about them and raise issues! 

• RichardWhitehead
    Hi Richard,

It's great to hear you're setting an example and proving that disabled people are just as talented as anyone else. I hope you get the nice feeling I get each time I prove that disabled people are talented.

Please keep setting an example to disabled people so they have hope.

Thank you.

Hi there! So glad you think so! I think it's important for everyone to do their part and help to provide opportunities. Thumbs up!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.