depression — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

depression

david7777
david7777 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited September 2017 in Mental health and wellbeing

my name is david marshall i would like to meet new people about my depression 

Comments

• david7777
  • david7777
    help me with my depression 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello david and welcome
    How can we help you ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello I understand you have depression I have both a mix of anxiety and depression.  I know it is a struggle and I am not hear to preach or to advise but there is help out there.  It all depends what you want.  Information is available on all platforms and of course your GP is the first contact.  I had also contacted a local mental health charity who are helping me through the really bad days.  I am an old fashioned gent who found it hard to talk about my illnesses and issues that bother me.  This helps here talking.  Having the blessing to chat to others.  Hope any of this helps you. 
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @david7777

Welcome to our website and online community.

Please please let me know if I can help in anyway ???

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @david7777 welcome to the community, what are you looking for help with?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • RebeccaMHadvisor
    RebeccaMHadvisor Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    Hi @david7777

Depression can be very difficult to deal with. It can affect people in different ways and can have physical symptoms as well.

It is important to know that you are not alone and there is help out there. It seems as though you have taken a massive step by posting in the forum and asking for help and sometimes admitting that you need help is half the battle.

If you feel that you can, your GP is always the best place to start in getting the help and support that you need but there are also charities like Mind and the Samaritans who are also there to help you.

I hope that you will come back to the forum and talk more about the help and support you need.

Take care
    Rebecca 
  • LyndaMcK
    LyndaMcK Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    Hi, 
    After a very traumatic few years, becoming disabled and suffering severe depression and anxiety, I have recovered from the trauma. Most things in my life are now as good as they can be.
    However, my mental health remains poor. I fully expected to have my mental health recover when everything settled down. I was discharged from my Pschiatrist and CPN about 4 months ago. This worried me and I have again taken a sustained dip and really could use some help because I really don't want to go anywhere near where I was 3 years ago. ?
  • thespiceman
    Hello @LyndaMcK   Pleased to meet you .  I understand this situation your in at the moment.

What is important right now is you. I have mental health issues.

This is very common being discharged and I do know we are expected to manage our condition our mental health.  With limited support.

I know the whole system is strained, buckling and over whelmed.  Lack of funds and resources.

Having been discharged from mental health charities. Understand the need to find support.  I am one of those people who have used up the resources of the area .  I currently reside in.

One point is to ask you do you think this mental health charity might help you.

https://www/richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Have used MIND have you contacted them. Worth a look at both of them.

It all depends what you are looking for and what you wish for to better your own mental health.  Remember I am here to listen anytime.

Be supportive.  Please ask if I can advise further. I am one of the team of the community champions on the forum. Our role is help and advise members.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @LyndaMcK, Rebecca is no longer active on the community but I'm glad to see you've had some support from our brilliant @thespiceman. MIND may be worth looking into! Does your GP know about the dip you've been experiencing?
  • LyndaMcK
    @thespiceman
    Thank you for your encouraging thoughts. I tried the link you shared for the Richmond Fellowship, but it wasn't active.
    I put it in google though and think I found it. I live in Glasgow, Scotland and I am not sure it would be appropriate for me - I also don't like going to new places myself!
    What help did you manage to get from them?
  • LyndaMcK
    @Pippa_Scope
    Hi, I haven't spoken to my GP about this yet.. (I am there quite a bit about my physical health). I believe he could re-refer me back to my psychiatrist, but I don't really think there is anything more he can do, and I don't know how long that would take.
    Incivdentally I have heard about MIND, but don't really know anything about it! I will definitely try and research this now, as you have both mentioned it.
    Thank you.

• thespiceman
    Hello @LyndaMcK   Thank you for reply. Apologise typed it in wrong.

Sorry about that.  Still getting used to doing IT . I am a gentleman of a certain age.

My excuse.

Richmond Fellowship got involved with them because got tired of short term contracts with NHS and councils.  Also been to MIND and other charities.

Plus needed to know how to cope with my mental state.. On a conveyor belt constantly.

Some thing wrong when you need help and support. NHS or council services are limiting time with you.  I am responsible for my own wellbeing.  My mental health.

I know what I want.

This charity helped me with coping methods and strategies. With my mental health. Had floating support.  Looked at everything around mental health including medication, sleep and lifestyle.

Helped me with long standing benefit issues. Assessments and benefit forms plus Doctors as an advocate.

Can also sign post to any additional support and information.

They far as I know bigger than MIND have many offshoots of support.

I do not know if in Scotland.

Apologise again for the link.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Put it again if that helps you.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • LyndaMcK
    @thespiceman
    Thank you again for sharing this. The link this time worked, and took me to a much better site!
    Unfortunately after checking out MIND, I believe it's only operating in England and Wales and as I said earlier, I am in Scotland.
    I will update you as things progress. ??

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.