What happens in a PIP tribunal? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What happens in a PIP tribunal?

shaz69
shaz69 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have my tribunal for pip in Oct.. .after taken off dla...i have epilepsy my brain just switches off wherever and whenever I've had multiple accidents but because I walked and was well dressed I didn't qualify....any help as to what happens at tribunal would be much appreciated.....

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    At Tribunal they take a fresh look at all the evidence without the bias of the DWP.
    Have you made your submission ?
    You can send in any further evidence,If it is relevant, to reach the tribunal seven days before the hearing.
    The panel will want to understand how your condition affects your daily life
    There are videoson here that you should have a look at to explain more

CR  
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shaz69

Welcome to our website and online community.

I have attached some info for you with regards to pip

https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/benefits-and-finances

Heres an attachment for one of our Benefits Advisors.

https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-a-benefits-advisor
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shaz69 welcome to the community

We have some videos about the appeal process, take a look at these with @Debbie_Scope and let us know if you have any specific questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIHjSpNNbQo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WEvbFVlQOc&t=6s
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @shaz69

I won my PIP appeal at Tribunal in May and was awarded enhanced both components with no end date. I have rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and sciatica.

A favourite first question is how did you travel to the Tribunal though I wasn't asked that. Don't drive yourself - take a taxi if necessary.  Don't dress up, wear only a watch and wedding ring as jewellery, minimal makeup and flat
    shoes.

The judge told me that the doctor and disability person would each asked me a series of questions and the judge would also come in with their own questions. They gave me quite a grilling so have your wits about you and stick to your guns.

All Tribunal members drew heavily on my diary for their questions.

Both the judge and the doctor thought that driving indicates a low level of disability.  I stressed that I only make a few short car journeys

a week.

The doc asked for how long can I walk and I asked back did they mean how long before I have to stop and rest. If you get this question give the amount  of time it takes you to cover the distance you can walk before you have to stop and rest on a bad day.

My Hearing lasted 30 minutes but times can vary.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.