About getting a dog — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

About getting a dog

janedawson340
janedawson340 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My name is Jane Dawson.  I have Cerebral Palsy & in a wheelchair full-time & we have two Children who have Cerebral Palsy & r thinking of getting a dog can u help.  Also if u have any questions please get in touch.    Thank you Jane Dawson

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @janedawson340 welcome to the community!

Are you talking about a dog as a pet or as a support dog?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • elisewolv
    elisewolv Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    there are lots of  charities who provide helping dogs - but they have long waiting lists, so get on all of their lists asap! also  offer to walk some neighbours' dogs for practice!
  • flippy
    flippy Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I'm a wheelchair user outside and we adopted two rescue dogs ,we had to wait a few months for the right ones to come along,as due to my conditions I needed calm responsive dogs as at home I manage to get around without my chair so needed them to understand safety,it was the best thing we did honestly,I knew I couldn't cope with a pup due to the toilet training etc I can't bend over to pick things up,my hubby walks and baths the dogs the rest I do,one of ours has trained himself to help me if I drop my phone or anything he picks it up for me ,when I faint he brings my phone and a blanket andsits by my side,he tells me when the phone or doorbell rings and empties the washer,all this he learnt himself,he was 6yr old when he came to us ,both dogs nap on the settee with me during the day,their brilliant,if you get in touch with a few rescues you can discuss your families needs and they will help you with choosing the right dog for you xx good luck 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.