If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

PIP and Universal Credit question

SystemSystem Posts: 72 admin
edited September 15 in Ask a benefits advisor
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi, my name is Tjhuggy!.


  • TjhuggyTjhuggy Posts: 3Member Listener
    I got 11 points for pip iv appealed. But no luck so I'm at last stage iv got a letter from a helper.see how that helps....i used to be on high rate do a and low rate mobility...so I'm losin a lot of money already..im on es a now but I no it's gonna change to universal credit..will I still get the same amount of money  wen it changes...this is making me so I'll all this worrying.. PLEASE does anybody no wat will happen..thankyou
  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Posts: 823Member, Helpline, Community advisor Chatterbox
    edited September 14
    Hi @Tjhuggy,

    First things first, we need to check if your area is full service. If you're not in a full service area we can find out when Universal Credit will rollout where you live. This will help you prepare. 

    You will stay on ESA until the DWP moves you over as part of the 'managed migration' which starts in 2019. If you're part of the managed migration you'll receive transitional protection so that you're not worse off under UC. If however you have a change in circumstances which would trigger a new claim for a legacy benefit, you'll have to claim Universal Credit. You'll be a 'natural migrant' and you won't receive transitional protection.

    An example of a natural migrant is a claimant who fails a WCA for ESA. When the ESA stops, if this happens in a full service area, instead of a claim for JSA while waiting for the mandatory reconsideration, it would be a Universal Credit claim. If the claimant is able to get through the mandatory reconsideration process without claiming and their mandatory reconsideration doesn't result in a change in the decision, they can appeal to the tribunal. Once the appeal form is lodged with the tribunal, the basic rate of ESA will be paid until your appeal is heard. If you need to claim for JSA and find it's a claim for UC instead, once you've claimed you can't withdraw from UC in a full service area.

    www.universalcreditinfo.net will tell you if you're in a full service area using your postcode.
    https://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate will tell you when your area becomes full service.

    From next month the rollout is stepping up from 5 areas a month to 50 so more and more people are going to be affected by this. If we prepare now we can try and prevent some of the uncertainty and shocks that are happening with Universal Credit.

    I hope this has helped. If you need further advice let me know.

    Best wishes

  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 1,241Member, Community advisor Chatterbox
    Hello Tjhuggy

    It is difficult to say when you will be affected by Universal Credit. It depends where you live and whether you have any changes of circumstances that would lead you to have to make a new claim. I think the most straightforward way of explaining it is ...

    1) If you live outside of what the government calls the full service areas then you will not be affected at least until your area joins the full service. You can see a list of areas on the DWP site here where you can search for your local authority or jobcentre name.

    2) If/when you come under the full service for Universal Credit it becomes impossible for nearly everyone to make new claims to what the government calls legacy benefits. These are income based Jobseeker's Allowance, income related Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Tax Credits and Housing Benefit. You can continue to get these benefits if you already have them until at least July 2019 when the government says it will start to end them manually as part of a managed migration. We do not yet know which areas will come first from July 2019 but the process is due to start then and complete by March 2022. If you have a change in circumstances before then you may have to claim UC early and this will bring an end to any of the legacy benefit entitlements. For example if you move from one local authority area to another then it may be impossible to make a new claim to Housing Benefit and the only way you could get help with the cost of rent would be to claim UC and move to the new system. The government calls this a natural migration because it is based on a change of circumstances.

    I hope this helps
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Will Hadwen
    Lee Kempson
    Jayne Knights
    Mary Shone
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland

  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Posts: 2,994Administrator admin
    Hi @Tjhuggy
    Did you see these responses?
Sign in or join us to comment.