If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

Carers Allowance

GillianWhalleyGillianWhalley Posts: 1Member Listener
Hi
I wondered if you could help. I recieve the support ESA full care DLA and Mobility DLA. I have just been put on the support DLA and my husband is thinking about claim carers for looking after me.  I went to thr DWP website that sent me somewhere else to see if we were eligable but we got completely confused because I am the one who has the claim for benefits not my husband and it just seems to completed to try to figure out. We don't want to go through weeks of messing about fot them to say we filled the pack in wrong. Please help.

Replies

• CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Posts: 5,256Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome

If your Oh cares for you for 35 hrs per week and earn less than£116 pw then you should qualify. It can affect other benefits like SDP

https://www.carersallowance.service.gov.uk/allowance/benefits

have a look at the above and come back if I can help you anymore

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • gazza47gazza47 Posts: 78Member Connected
    Your husband has to make the claim, I did the same thing for my wife and got it..... As long as he's caring for you for more than 35hours a week he will be eligible.... But it will take some time to be sorted, I waited 9 weeks but it was all back paid
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 2,687Member Pioneering
    Hi Gillian

The eligibility rules for Carer's Allowance are described on the Scope pages here. Unless your husband is also in receipt of a disability benefit it is almost certainly advisable for him to make a claim.

I'm not sure of the current processing time for Carer's Allowance but it is one of the more straightforward benefits for the DWP to determine. Hopefully he will get it soon and you will be better off.

David
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • Dusty123Dusty123 Posts: 3Member Listener
    Can I claim carers money my self.to pay people that care for me.and also I care for my friend who has liver failure do her shopping cooking not well myself I neeď to pay people to do jobs for me
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Posts: 5,256Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    No you can only claim carers allowance for looking after another person provided that you care for them at least 35 hours pw

PIP is awarded to help you pay for things you need for example people to do jobs for you

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Posts: 2,687Member Pioneering
    Hi Dusty - I agree with everything said above, but I just wanted to add that it might be an idea to check with your ill friend that she/he is claiming PIP, along with any other benefits that are relevant to being ill, such as Employment and Support Allowance. The Turn2us benefit calculator which you can find on this Scope website will help both of you to check whether you are claiming the right benefits.

Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.