If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Having difficulties logging in or resetting your password?

Please email [email protected]

Homeless - housing support

CsreynoldsCsreynolds Posts: 7Member Listener
I'm registered blind and half a 3 year old daughter who has cerable palsy she has mobility issues also as a family we are homeless and getting no help from the council


  • steve51steve51 Posts: 6,058Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Csreynolds

    A very very warm welcome to you to our online community and website.

    I'm very very sorry to hear about your current situation.

    You say that you are homeless ???

    And you have no help from the council ???

    Please please let us know a bit more about your current predicament ???

  • CsreynoldsCsreynolds Posts: 7Member Listener
    We were evicted from are private property in Kent in Feb as landlord sold the property decided to move mums as a temporary fix as needed support from family as I loose my sight but because we didn't stay in property till the landlord got a court order we made ourselves intentionally homeless so even with medical problems the council have no duty of care to help even a month ago when daughter got diagnosed with cerable palsy they just keep saying go private we have a key worker and she is getting the same result we are all living in one room at mums daughter has no room to develop and I'm banging into things daily as I go blind we are trying with mps but that doesn't look promising either are point is what private landlord will allow adaptations for daughter
  • steve51steve51 Posts: 6,058Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Csreynolds

    I'm sorry to hear about your current predicament, what is world coming to !!!!

    Won't the council budge at all ???

    Can't your key worker help ???

    No good with your mp either ???

    Surely someone should be able to help you ???

    Sorry for more questions just trying to get things straight this side !!!!
  • CsreynoldsCsreynolds Posts: 7Member Listener
    Key worker can't help both local councils are not budging Portsmouth and havant
    It's all because we left the previous property before he took us to court
    Which is nuts as he sold it and buyers were measuring up and I didn't want the added stress
    They just say private but I need social housing as I don't want to move any more and adapt it for me and daughter
    Even with all doctors letters and rnib legal help nothing will do its so unfair I thought social housing was there to help obviously not any more I've emailed mps and the local news and no think on that front
  • steve51steve51 Posts: 6,058Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Csreynolds

    I'm so sorry for you I just wish I had a "magic wand" for you ?????

    You are in a very beautiful part of the country as I had 3mnts treatment down there a few years ago.

    You find yourself in a real pickle as they are just pushing you pillar to post.

     Please please keep me updated with things !!!!
  • CsreynoldsCsreynolds Posts: 7Member Listener
  • steve51steve51 Posts: 6,058Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Csreynolds

    Thats no probs please please let me know if you need anything at all as I have very very big shoulders .

    Remember a problem shared is a problem halved.

    Keep your chin up!!!!!

  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Posts: 7,732Member Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Csreynolds you can call the Scope helpline for support on 0808 800 3333

    @Debbie_Scope do you have any ideas?
    Senior online community officer
  • CsreynoldsCsreynolds Posts: 7Member Listener
    I did ring number but they couldn’t help
  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Posts: 947Member Pioneering
    Hi @Csreynolds,

    Really sorry to learn about your housing situation.

    Did the housing team advise you to stay put at the property until the landlord had sought possession through the courts? It would be really difficult to challenge an intentionally homeless decision if they advised you to stay put.
    The chronic lack of housing available means that local authorities are having to use homelessness prevention measures all the time. This includes waiting for the landlord to take the correct action to end the tenancy and take possession legally. 

    If you haven't already done so, speak to Shelter who can advise you on your rights and whether there is a legal challenge to the intentionally homeless decision. Once you know where you stand in this respect you can start planning the next steps. 

    I'm happy to talk through it with you in more depth. Let me know if you'd like this.

    Best wishes
  • CsreynoldsCsreynolds Posts: 7Member Listener
    Shelter couldn't help
    Are only option is private I'm just worried about moving again and again
    It wasn't explained at all as we didn't see anyone it was a discussion over the phone I did try to explain that I'm losing my sight and it didn't matter at all
  • steve51steve51 Posts: 6,058Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    [email protected]

    I'm very very sorry that you are still going around in circles !!!!!!!!!!

    Please please let me know if I can help you in anyway ???

    Many many thanks.
  • CsreynoldsCsreynolds Posts: 7Member Listener
    Need a magic wand lol
Sign in or join us to comment.