Punished for being off work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Punished for being off work

Options
Bazza
Bazza Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited October 2017 in Work and employment
I started a business in 1994 after being a Paraplegic since 1970 and been frustrated that I couldn't find work I enjoyed. So in 94, I started a business selling high-end wheelchairs. After a couple of years I met a guy who was a welder fabricator so we got together and designed and built a very successful selling racing wheelchair as used by many top athletes including Dave Weir. 

We built the business tking on wheelchair users to  work. The In 2010 I became seriously ill and spent many months off work in hospital. When I came out it was decided in 2012 they didn't want me there any more so I was pushed out and had my share of the company brought off me for a low price.

At this time I was in no mental state to fight this so decided to retire. BIG MISTAKE as since then my life has gone down hill dramatically to a point where I am now having to clain benefits which I hate as I have always worked. My mental state has gone from bad to totally miserable wishing I could shut myself away and not see anyone.

I found out 6 months after it happened that they can't do this and that I could of sued them for wrongful dismission but I didn't know and you have to make a complaint within 3 months of the incident.

So now with these benefits, they say it is what they say you can live on and yes I can but I can't do anything or have holidays. So I just pay my mortgage and buy food etc. Is this life????? 

I do wonder if it is worth it as my mental state is so low I just look forward to going to sleep. When I'm asleep (after taking Zoplicone ) It doesn't hurt bt life has to go on. 

Comments

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Options
    You're not alone in that experience @Bazza .

I did begin to take an abusive employer to an Employment Tribunal but their nerve went and they settled out of court.

It didn't achieve much in the long run but I did get a feeling of of some justice being done.

Yes it's a pretty bleak existence being severely disabled especially if one is alone.
  • Bazza
    Bazza Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    The government keep saying they want people off of benefits but it's like trying to get blood from a stone if you want help to start working from home.

I can't commit to a 9 to 5 now due to having nurses in every day so my only hope to work is to work from home.

So I just carry on taking Pension Credits when if they would help I could earn a living and get off the bxxxxx benefits. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Bazza welcome to the community, I have moved your post over to our new Employment advisors category.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • LouA
    LouA Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    edited October 2017
    Options
  • BrianC
    BrianC Community member Posts: 16 Listener
    Options
    Hi everyone I too have been treated roughly by my employer.
    I have worked for the NHS for 19yrs.
    I have been dealing with  huge spinal issues for almost all of that time, I tried to not go sick and even carried on working with a slipped disc and when I finally had surgery I was back much earlier than my consultant recommended.
    Finally after many years and several operations and procedures I admitted defeat and requested for my retirement benefit.
    As soon as I did they said that I am saying I am not fit for duty so they sacked me!!!!!!
    Through all of this I was been employed by the Ambulance service....... Go figure! 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    So sorry to hear about this, @BrianC. It sounds like you always tried your absolute hardest to continue working and doing your job, so that must have been a really upsetting experience for you.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello I understand every ones stories.  In the end I am on benefits and now I look back and think of what I have achieved.  Even so I started in a series of dead end jobs and been treated badly by every one who I came across.  Discrimination all the time and used and abused by employers.  Plus the constant need for that qualification.  All the time feeling the desire for to do something different.  Starting collecting the old postcards and other related collectables.  Became such an important part of my life.  Set up a business self employed.  Biggest hurdle were the lack of support from family who in their minds thought of me as a failure.  The other issue were the banks who did nothing to help.  Any way ten years later I did it.  Packed in work started and enjoyed every minute of it.  Yes there were ups and downs.  Lots of barriers and remember this was the eighties and the attitudes were well hard and not at all welcoming.  I first recall the fair I started and a dealer on looking at my stock wanted to buy me out.  Do not want you here.  Are you paying tax and the usual distractions.  You are I asked.  I say to anybody do your research and make sure your books are ok.  Do not be put off by people.  Look at Dragons den.  As time progressed illness hit me especially my mental health and addiction issues.  I had to pack in this.  Much to my parents delight.  Thank god I got away and now reflect on the positives.  I am still hurting because they all benefited money wise.  I wanted to do something else another business idea but it is the banks and they are the problem in my opinion.  So here I am on long term benefits and I have to get used to this.  As I get older and can not see me in a job or any sort of self employment again
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.