Discretionary Housing Payments — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Discretionary Housing Payments

CollyoftheWobbles
CollyoftheWobbles Community member Posts: 18 Courageous
Hi,
I was recently told by my landlord, that my rent was going up to over and way above the amount my Council Housing Benefit will allow me.
The area I am has risen in price drastically over the last year and I am unable to find anything cheaper.
 I am also unable to move out of the area, as I rely on care from my family who live close.
The council have advise I apply for Discretionary Housing Payments. Which is given on a case to case bases and is temporary. (I won't go into how the council lied, told me they would cover my new rent and then let me down, after I am now signed into a 2 year lease I can't afford)

I have been given the form, but to say it is vague in it's questions is a understatement. Each question can be taken in 3 different ways.
I cannot get citizen advise on the phone and am up against the clock.

Has anyone ever filled one of these forms out before and has any tips?

Comments

• Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @CollyoftheWobbles,

Sorry to learn about your situation with the rent increase. It's good that the council has advised you about Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP). Although they are a temporary source of support, longer term awards can be made. It very much depends on the individual's circumstances. Rents have shot up and benefits don't cover full rent in a lot of areas now so this makes it near on impossible to find anything cheaper. 

The only tip I can provide is to give plenty of information about the difficulties you're having meeting the shortfall. You'll need to fill in the income and expenditure part and be prepared to have it looked at in some detail.   

You might also find the Discretionary Housing Payments Guidance Manual helpful.

If you get stuck on any questions let me know and I'll try to help.

Good luck with the application.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • CollyoftheWobbles
    CollyoftheWobbles Community member Posts: 18 Courageous
    Hi @Debbie_Scope
    thank you so much, it looks like that will be a lot of help. Gonna take me a while to start to fill it in. I'll get back to you if i have more problems. But really, thank you x
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.